2015 Nanaimo Reports

Discussion in '2015 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by Sculpin, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jeffywestcoast

jeffywestcoast Well-Known Member

It's Driving me friggn nuts... Fishing by myself yesterday for a couple hours i couldn't even put the second rigger down ... Wham.. Pollock pollock pollock.... Is there any lure they wont take?? And are we allowed to kill them for crab bait??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

Are they Pollock or these Pacific cod? How big are they?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429283047.138221.jpg

3. kelly

kelly Well-Known Member

Pollock. 1-2 lbs.

4. peanuts

peanuts Guest

Are these any good to eat... has anyone tried?

5. Shermanater

Shermanater Member

Fished last weekend and was able to get away from the cod. I was using 5 inch tomic spoons and trolling 3mph. Only one cod all day and managed a couple decent springs. Sounds like the cod are bad by the fingers area. I was closer to entrance island so maybe worth moving around a bit if you can't keep the cod off.

6. Prairie Buoy

Prairie Buoy Member

Pcod are very similar to pollock. Main difference is pcod have a chin barbel(like a catfish). Pollock also have a larger belly fin. I find the pcod very good eating and can get up to 15+ pounds. Pcod & pollock are treated same class for fishing, 8/day in the guide… The fish you speak of could also be hake; I catch them too and they are usually in the 1-3 pound range…

PB

7. chevyshaulass

chevyshaulass Active Member

they look pretty nasty I wouldn't eat them. covered in black slime, warts and tumors all over them and covered from head to tail in small sea lice.

8. Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine Well-Known Member

Which fish are you referring to? The PCod we retained had none of these characteristics and were great.

9. eaglemaniac

eaglemaniac Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Pacific Cod, they are a delicasy in my opinion. Try them.;) eman

10. Bigdogg

Bigdogg Member

Fished the fingers today early morning to about 11:30am. Landed 3 decent springs. Chovy was the ticket for sure. Out fished the spoon all day. Did land 1 spring with the cop car. Also seen another guy with a 20 at the cleaning station. It was a beauty morning.

11. chevyshaulass

sorry was referring to the Pollock or whatever it is that we catch off Nanaimo. ive also heard those big pacific cod are decent eating haven't tried it myself.

12. Yes the crabs seemed to enjoy them :D

13. Sculpin

Sculpin Well-Known Member

Heard of a few fish taken from those that braved the elements today. I was with them in spirit :). Beauty day for sure. Cleaning up the boat. Trying to get ready to hit it one of these afternoons this coming week :cool:.

14. jeffywestcoast

Looks like this afternoon is a go according to BWD...

15. Reel Time

Reel Time Active Member

Reports! Reports!

I'm heading home next week. Most ppl still on chnl88?

16. chevyshaulass

trolled around the fingers a bit this morning couldn't keep the Pollock off, did a long tack from neck pt to entrance and no salmon to speak of for me, was kinda snotty out so didn't put in the greatest effort. half dozen other boats out.

17. HookNSlice

HookNSlice Member

nice night for a boat ride last night and the Pollock bite was on! Silva Bay should have a derby on those little brown turds because I would have a chance.

18. jeffywestcoast

Lol.. Me too if trollin circles in a five knot wind workin the one rigger was an Olympic sport.. Id take gold...

19. 7Deuce

7Deuce Member

Was out today for several hours with a pair of rookies. One of the rookies was from Europe and he was pretty jacked to cross salmon off the bucket list. Got a couple salmon. Lost a couple salmon. Got lots of pollock. Put back a couple undersized

The interesting thing was when I gutted the fish I kept, they were packed with jumbo herring (6-8"). Coho killers were the only thing getting good bites. Even tried my new iron needle lure but only the tiny lure was working.

20. Sculpin

Sculpin Well-Known Member

Try trolling some Tomic plugs :cool:. PM Stormtrooper. He is the master of plugs for the ECVI :).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015