2015 Nanaimo Reports

It's Driving me friggn nuts... Fishing by myself yesterday for a couple hours i couldn't even put the second rigger down ... Wham.. Pollock pollock pollock.... Is there any lure they wont take?? And are we allowed to kill them for crab bait??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished last weekend and was able to get away from the cod. I was using 5 inch tomic spoons and trolling 3mph. Only one cod all day and managed a couple decent springs. Sounds like the cod are bad by the fingers area. I was closer to entrance island so maybe worth moving around a bit if you can't keep the cod off.

Pcod are very similar to pollock. Main difference is pcod have a chin barbel(like a catfish). Pollock also have a larger belly fin. I find the pcod very good eating and can get up to 15+ pounds. Pcod & pollock are treated same class for fishing, 8/day in the guide… The fish you speak of could also be hake; I catch them too and they are usually in the 1-3 pound range…

PB

they look pretty nasty I wouldn't eat them. covered in black slime, warts and tumors all over them and covered from head to tail in small sea lice.

Fished the fingers today early morning to about 11:30am. Landed 3 decent springs. Chovy was the ticket for sure. Out fished the spoon all day. Did land 1 spring with the cop car. Also seen another guy with a 20 at the cleaning station. It was a beauty morning.

Heard of a few fish taken from those that braved the elements today. I was with them in spirit :). Beauty day for sure. Cleaning up the boat. Trying to get ready to hit it one of these afternoons this coming week :cool:.

trolled around the fingers a bit this morning couldn't keep the Pollock off, did a long tack from neck pt to entrance and no salmon to speak of for me, was kinda snotty out so didn't put in the greatest effort. half dozen other boats out.

nice night for a boat ride last night and the Pollock bite was on! Silva Bay should have a derby on those little brown turds because I would have a chance.

Lol.. Me too if trollin circles in a five knot wind workin the one rigger was an Olympic sport.. Id take gold...

Was out today for several hours with a pair of rookies. One of the rookies was from Europe and he was pretty jacked to cross salmon off the bucket list. Got a couple salmon. Lost a couple salmon. Got lots of pollock. Put back a couple undersized

The interesting thing was when I gutted the fish I kept, they were packed with jumbo herring (6-8"). Coho killers were the only thing getting good bites. Even tried my new iron needle lure but only the tiny lure was working.

The interesting thing was when I gutted the fish I kept, they were packed with jumbo herring (6-8"). Coho killers were the only thing getting good bites. Even tried my new iron needle lure but only the tiny lure was working.

Try trolling some Tomic plugs :cool:. PM Stormtrooper. He is the master of plugs for the ECVI :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back