2015 Nanaimo Reports

Trolled from entrance down to thrasher... 1 rockfish 1 dogfish and a 7-8 pound spring popped the hook near the boat. On the bottom most of the day using chovies hoochies plugs and cop cars. Pretty slow fishing still up here.. Been down to the Victoria area the last few months and filled the coffin with 10-19 pound springs each time! WTF?

Looks like Free Spirit found them out there this morning. He stopped by the house on his way home and dropped off a 15 pounder that fed us and a few of the neighbours tonight. He boated 3 keepers at 9:30 - 10 am. 800' of water north of the Fingers. 135' down using 5" spoons above dummy flashers. Silver Blue was also into a few good size fish in deep water off Silva Bay. He was a little out of practice and farmed both. Looks like it has started.

Trolled around the deep all afternoon. Sweet FA. Came back inside by the the fingers on my way back in. Outside clarke rock and into horsewell channel showed a bunch of baitballs.

Attachments

• WP_20150223_011.jpg
    WP_20150223_011.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 640
  • WP_20150223_012.jpg
    WP_20150223_012.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 646
Dropped the gear north of the Fingers at 9:30 this morning and was rewarded with a nice 70cm hatchery. 160' down in 800' of water using 5" Irish Crème spoon. He was feeding on 7" herring. Saw two other fish caught in the same area. Free Spirit had a couple again this morning including one that looked about 15.

Nice to hear some fish are trickling in...hope to have the new to me boat in the water soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out for a few hours either side of the low slack tide this afternoon. Got one just undersize outside the fingers in about 800 '. 180 on the rigger. Irish creme coho killer. Another beauty February day to be on the water.

Jigged a bucket of herring off the Brickyard this afternoon. Lots of massive schools heading north. Most were out in 200 to 350 feet of water and some schools went from the surface almost to the bottom. Couple of boats trolling around us and one had a legal size fish and the other a sub-legal.

Thanks for the heads up Hot Rods.

Picked up a hatchery 12 pounder in the same area that Hotrods was jigging herring this afternoon. Lots of herring in the area and the rods were bouncing through every ball i trolled through. Released another that was a bit too small. 5 inch tomic spoon down 200ft. Fish had an empty stomach.
03a86be84e8e5fe1e9c1a495fe07af39.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
where abouts is the brickyard, im located in ladysmith , i was out today seen little schools of herring on the surface near tent isalnd but forgot my damn herring jigs

It's long haul for you. Better bring quite a few extra gas cans lol. It's been awhile, how's it going buddy :).

My boat is in the shop right now for servicing. The reports are much appreciated. Thanks for posting up folks :cool:. I'm glad to hear that some folks are hitting some fish and that your putting some bait in the freezer to boot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a boat with four guys jigging for bottom fish at Entrance on Sunday. I video taped them and trolled right up beside the boat. As I got about 30 yards away, both rods went off and I was into a double header, by myself. This was too much for the other boat, and went back to the Vancouver waters. I landed the one that felt the heaviest and lost the other. Managed a 12# and a little later, a 10# for my efforts, in 3 hours of fishing.
I am tempted to post the boat on here for all to see.

likely May 1st for the rockies and lings to open.

I saw two boats in Porlier on sunday that sure looked like they were fishing lings and rockfish. Maybe they were fishing salmon though? Grrr.

Back