2015 Gulf Islands Reports

Had one ling in the boat before the sun came up and hooked into the second one with a gorgeous sunrise over the mainland. After the 'rise' the sun pretty much disappeared for the rest of my morning. Didn't dampen our spirits at all though. Got three springs to the boat in quick succession. Two were undersized but bonked one. All that before 6:30. Things slowed down after that, we released one more undersize before pulling lines at 9. Great day on the water with my dad. Hope y'all had great days too!

Had a nice day on the water yesterday. Fished Grande, Entrance and finished up at Thrasher. Landed 4 and lost 4 with some rookies in the crew but was great to see them all get a fish and have fun. 3" Silver Horde Glow Homeland Security spoon was the ticket on bottom in 175' for the upper area but anchovies did the trick for the late afternoon bite at the rock.

2a28eb401c139e9b3c202327ea253ac9.jpg

16f45f052ed21a0182b4a9755ef7f95d.jpg

1ce59c3adecc9b06d3fa7dd4aead7316.jpg
9cbe8d3022998ab9f6a48eea8c046dcc.jpg
f6becdab3b6404c1e9f2e81fc6dc4726.jpg
a36db22e1ef37ad3e96f5f04c7a6222e.jpg

Great morning at Salamanca ~ at the point by 7 had our limit by 8:30! Fishing with the ebb - slack was at 8:50 am. Water is starting to get a little murky but all came at 100' on the down rigger on the 100/120 contour. Green flasher and an Andrew P Sand Lance spoon. All between 10/15lbs except the one we lost that had to have been waaaay bigger ;)

And it looks like Swiggy had a great day further north - nice fish!

Looks like everyone had a great time Swiggy. Nice to see some less experienced guys getting into the fish as well. Nice job. Pursuit that sounds like an hour and a half you would like to repeat again.

Sorry my kids were not here to tell me how to get picture straight. Cost per rod $100 this will inc your dinner snacks friday night dinner saturday night . All proceeds will be going towards the p.s.f. cod weight for ling will be any thing under 20 lbs to save the female breeders. This should be a fun event as i have some $2000 worth of prizes so far.Saltspring marina will have special moorage for derby boats. Hope to see you all the Kurt

Sucks that's two derby's now that both fall on my Wife's birthday :( :( Even though it's also fathers day I still don't think I can pull that off :)

Porlier pass today from 7:30 till noon. Released one undersized around 11:30 and that was it for us. Didn't see any nets outs either. Slow day for sure but nice on the water.

Caught an 8 lb'r off of Grande this morning 15 minutes after dropping the lines … was thinking here we go baby! One undersize let go about half hour later and that was it for the rest of the morning inclusive of a few passes at Thrasher reef but did see another boat netting one as we were leaving. Got back to the Ladysmith launch at about 1 and the Creel dude said it was the first fish he had seen come in to that point. I consider myself lucky considering the very recent reports on this forum and considering the Creel dudes comment. I know for many, 8 lb'rs are let go to live another day but for this infrequent "catcher" it was mighty fine eats. Damn fine conditions today in contrast to being whipped around a couple weekends ago and coming home skunked. If only every day out could be under todays conditions, flat, calm, warm … it was awesome except for the sporadic concentrations of weed in the water. Cheers !

Fished polier sat got 1 keeper nothing to brag about. fished salimanca sunday got 4 under size. not a lot of fish being caught this weekend. Sorry for the over lap on the derbys but it seems every weekend there is some thing going on.Mobys pub will be open for familys for the derby weekend so it should be a fun family event. Some guys are coming over and going fishing while the wives are enjoying the saturday market in ganges.

Maybe this should go in Sidney so I'll post it there as well.
Fished Fairfax Point through the ebb yesterday - nada - it was a wasteland out there: no birds, no feed, nothing showing on the fish finder. Hope these big tides move some fish in.

Last edited by a moderator:
porlier today. 16 and an 8. homeland security. About as rough as I like to fish in so we left after one more pass. gonna be a scorcher!

Sounds like it's been real scratchy over in the gulf islands lately. good to see you were able to boat a couple there vanislehunter.

This is typically prime time for the gabriola / galiano area so hopefully things pick up a bit in the next while. I'll be out at porlier (and perhaps thrasher) this coming weekend and will post reports either way... hopefully a positive one :)

Any recent reports in the gulf islands between now and then would be appreciated. Either way, weather look great at this point so at least I plan on catching a tan.

Tin an, new to the post and relatively new to fishing. Where near porlier pass is the best fishing? What depth? I will be coming from Crofton, therefore as you come out of the pass where would one go? Thanks for any help. Gear, etc

Clipper, When fishing Porlier pass, nowadays most boats fish the NE corner of Galiano. If coming from Crofton, head thru the pass towards Vancouver and then hang a right and start trolling. You can troll right from the mouth down a few miles parallel to Galiano if you'd like (there is a RCA that eventually does come into play mid-Galiano so look for that). You will most likely see a couple other boats out if the weather is decent as this is typically prime time for this area... however, it's been slow lately so that may keep people at home until fishing picks up.

You can fish any depth. A good place to start is the 120-140 depth and keep an eye on your sounder for bait/fish. If nothing there are a tack or two head to deeper/shallower water. I've caught fish at all depths at Porlier. Sometimes they are offshore, sometimes in tight (100ft or so). Sometimes there are not to be found at all.

This time of year I'll use chovies in a teaser head more than anything else, though a green splatterback hoochie will probably find its way down as well. good luck.

Tin an, new to the post and relatively new to fishing. Where near porlier pass is the best fishing? What depth? I will be coming from Crofton, therefore as you come out of the pass where would one go? Thanks for any help. Gear, etc

Back