2015 Gulf Islands Reports

Lincod and rockfish still closed is many areas in the gulf islands:

Lingcod and Rockfish: Reminder of closure

Fishing for lingcod and rockfish will close October 1, 2014 until further notice:

Lingcod in Areas: 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48, 13 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.
Rockfish (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate) in Areas: 12 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/season-saison/index-eng.html

The confusing part for some is that the initial table states:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html (which appears like 1 lingcod is permitted in the gulf islands until you read the in-season fisheries notice which states it is closed until further notice). I've heard people (myself included) complain about the confusing nature of the DFO website for years now. It really should be much more simple system if they expect all fishermen to be able to follow the regs properly. I know there are a few groups working on a fisher app to help make these regs more user friendly so I look forward to using that soon.

The gentleman recording catch data for the DFO at Esquimalt Anglers on Sunday said that May 1st is the expected date for ling to open.

Also, a recent report from the Galiano / Saltspring area:

I fished for 2 days earlier this week in the gulf islands. Had a slow first day at porlier though the weather was awesome. Not a salmon bite in the 3-4 hours we were there, however. Did manage to catch a buzz. Saw another boat around but no action from what I could see. The next day things changed for us and we ended up getting into a few on the West side of Saltspring. Had a 4 hour session again and at low slack the bite turned on and we ended up with 3 keepers (11-18lbs) and one undersized that was gently released. Had one other good whack that didn't stick as well. The day started off slow for the first 2 hours but we had 45 minutes of great winter action after being in the right place at the right time. Hits came equally on chovies and a green/white coho killer. Definitely one of the best winter fishing days I've had in these areas.

went out in my buddys tinny today did really good on crabs , including a 8'1/2 dungy
if anyone is going prawning near tent island soon if you could do me a huge favor, i set my prawn string of two traps near chemainus but there stuck on something , just wondering if you can pull them with your boat, just want my damn traps back , please private msg me for my cell number thanksimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

There is a fishing derby being hosted out of Montague Harbour at May 2nd, 2015. Details can be found on the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/729774783786722/

Or, if you're not on facebook look here: http://www.kingfisherapparel.com/bl...ate-king-fisher-galiano-island-salmon-classic

Check in is Friday from noon-9pm. 1 day derby on Saturday, May 2nd from 6am - 4pm. $100/rod. Includes dinners and Friday and Saturday night at Montague Harbour Marina. Proceeds to Pacific Salmon Foundation's salish sea project to help bring chinook back to the Strait of Georgia - http://marinesurvivalproject.com/ . Top 3 salmon get cash prizes. Standard raffle, etc as well. Should be fun times. Looks like there are already quite a few boats entered and it just opened up the other day.

I'm putting in a boat today. Hope to see some more forum members out there to start the Gulf Island fishery season!

Any reports from today?

Will be salmon fishing in the gulf islands this weekend. Most likely gonna give Porlier a go if the weather is decent on Fri/Sat. May also try Pender Bluffs area. Anyone out recently?

When does commercial prawning open up in the area?

Commercial prawn season opens May 12.
Will be salmon fishing in the gulf islands this weekend. Most likely gonna give Porlier a go if the weather is decent on Fri/Sat. May also try Pender Bluffs area. Anyone out recently?

When does commercial prawning open up in the area?

Got a nice on off the north end of saltspring today. Pretty gusty so we didn't stick around too long. Hope it calms down tomo and Monday so we can do some exploring / fishing.

Hit our fish on a Chovy at 100'.

Got a nice on off the north end of saltspring today.

Where off the north end of Salt Spring? We put in a couple hours in the afternoon off Tent Island and had one good fish on that we didn't get to the boat but otherwise it was very quiet.

Teja, pm sent. May have seen you at tent yesterday. Looks nice and calm today. Wish I could get out again but chores and Easter stuff in the way.

Tried tent through low tide today. No luck for us. Saw 3 other boats didn't look like any were having any luck as well. Nice day on the water. Try porlier tomorrow in the am.

Went out to Porlier on Saturday for tide change. Pretty lumpy but stayed to fish and was rewarded with a nice hatchery Spring
before I could get the second line wet.
#5 Coyote white, green, and lime (whatever that one's called) with a glow green flasher. 65ft on the rigger in 90ft of water.

Tried tent through low tide today. No luck for us. Saw 3 other boats didn't look like any were having any luck as well. Nice day on the water. Try porlier tomorrow in the am.

I was one of the other boats. Had a bite when I was pulling up and finished for the day but it a was a small spring and released back.

Back