2015 Campbell River Reports

Picked up a couple of springs at the green can yesterday morning. Black hoochey, kite flasher with 140 on the rigger. Lots of bait showing and fish were full off 6-7 inch herring

As for Coho season, I called the DFO # Powell River and was told that the BC Tidal Sport Fishing Guide website is what to go by. I guess we'll have to see if there are any changes made by June 1st and go by what it says there on opening day.

Two per day, hatchery marked only starting June 1st. There has been no Fishery Notice released yet this year allowing retention of an unmarked coho. Cross fingers for good numbers and it may happen.

This is the correct information for Coho. The DFO regional office called me back and explained that the 2014-15 map is for last season. This season has not been determined yet.

Good to know. Thanks Brick.

I wish they would do away with this Apr 1 - Mar 31 non-sense and just go by calendar year. If "2014" was printed atop those maps instead of "2014/2015", there would be no second guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link to the map is written like this, copied right from their web-page: "Map: 2014 and 2015 coho and chinook openings for Area 15, Powell River"

That certainly doesn't read like the 2014-15 license season but rather for the 2014 and 2015 calendar years. Particularly as all the seasons mentioned fall within a single calendar year, with the exception of the RCA closures, which are year round.

I wouldn't want to have to be a Fishery Officer explaining a ticket in court if someone were mislead by such poorly written material on the web page we're all directed to for the most up to date regs!!

Ukee

Only had one bite today and it was a doozie. Trolled around the flasher hoochie combo for few hours with no bites. Put on the MOP Nogs needle spoon and within half an hour I was into my first Tyee. Unfortunately it broke me off after a couple minute fight. It was up on the surface and jumping right away. A real slob of a fish, Im talking that fat fat mid to high 30s Ive been dreaming about my whole life. Easily 10 to 15 lbs bigger than anything Ive ever hooked. I had my one rigger up and in and was working on the second when a combination of poor knot and touching the drag when I shouldnt have and POP it was gone.

Im not one to scream obscenities at the top of my lungs. Normally calm cool and collected. But today it happened. LOL Im sure anyone on the hump around 1:45 heard me.

130 ft of cable in 200ft of water. West side of the hump. High slack
Wish I had a picture for you fellas. Believe me!

Lots of big bait balls everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. I was about 300 feet away putting my gear away and noticed you had something on (only boat I saw playing a fish today). And then I heard the scream of frustration. My buddy and I looked at each other and said, "I think he lost it". Too bad it had to happen on a beauty of a fish. I've yelled four letter words a few times over the years after losing fish.

I will get another chance! I've only been fishing the salt just over a year and I spend a lot of time on the water. I think I catch a fair bit of fish but still looking for my over 30lber.

Heading out right now to go find another big boy.:cool:

Very nice fish capt. It won't be long until that 30 +lber is posing for a picture with you.

yea, Ive heard of a few biggies lately. Ive only been catching 20#, not that Im complaining, actually fishings been great:)
Im still waiting for my first CR tyee. Ive caught many on the west coast, but I have hundreds if not thousands of logged hours over there. Been fishing hump to lighthouse last few nights on the bottom of the ebb. Lots of big herring down there. Anybody use tomic spoons on this side?

Fished the green can today. 1for 3. Red 10lber. Lots of boats south east quadra. I stayed away from the pack, that's probably where the big ones were. Lol.
Awesome day out!

fished the ebb today and yesterday, got 2 springs one 10 and a 25 pounder. Plus a couple keeper lings as incidental catches. Not super hot out there but a few to be had, couple weeks and it should be hot is my guess

We snuck out for the nite bite and limited out nice and quick at the hump. Plugs were working great. There is some nice fish out there

Back