2015 Campbell River Reports

Nice haul Gong show! You reaped the rewards of going out on a crappy day for sure. I need to learn some secret holes for when the conditions aren't ideal.

Theres a reef at the north end of duncan bay boom chain 38'.Between the two reefs orange point dock north.Hali at 150' trolled duncan bay.june july i have found to be good time for this fishery,won't tell you what tide to fish but the opposite tide i fish copper bluffs if i can make the crossing in my small boat.When the mill was running guys were pulling fish of the dock with perkins . On there break they would always land one with there dropnet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have in past trips and will again soon,14' 17"transoms in both some blue above waterline.lund for truck , gregor on trailer ,12' red sears aluminum for 4x4 ,canoe red.Old boat i did have 10 years ago was blue.White knuckled a few crossings from the east side of grouse island a few times at dusk.As soon as ken fords is open, I will be at north side of shelter pt at 90'

I'm sure I've fished alongside you in a white 16' hourston and 19' grady center console. Not many people fish that area and the ones who do don't fish it well. This past summer we had great success in tight to the old mill pilings rolling bait. Got a few springs over twenty in less than 50' of water lines at 20-30.

Dave

One fish i had on there ,no one around ,a guide boat got sight of me and within minutes there was 20 guide boats mooching ,and i had no where to troll but deeper water.

12-15 years ago this happend.I fish Dbay every year.Toss up, good days i will go pt holms over to palister rock for a shallow troll ,or Dbay if the wind is up.Fits in between elk bay,muchlat lk,trips and shelter pt in may and cougar creek trip end of july .By the time i get back from north island in august campbell river springs will be in the river ,and i will already have enough spring in the freezer, the coho will be on the beaches.From now to april i fish kittycolman hump or go to a lake .Last year Ken fords launch in willow pt was blocked till april.

Fished out by willow point for a couple of hours today had three on and two in the boat. Got one that weighed in at 26 so that was a nice surpise, sunny day lots of boats out fishing todayimage.jpg

Thanks guys, We got that one on a cut plug herring with no flasher down 175'. Sure makes for a nice fight when you are not fighting the flasher and only the fish they seem to run way more!

I just saw in last Friday's local paper that a 31 was recently caught at the Hump.

A Tyee in Feb is pretty darn good.

Take care.

What's the bait of choice for winter springs? Herring or Chovies? It's my first winter living here and first time fishing these winter springs.

Back