2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Entrance to the Bamfield Harbour 71' feet 3.5" spackled green and yellow glow spoon 23# broken rod while playing it ...image.jpgimage.jpg

Question about Ucluelet / Barkley Sound Timing:

Earliest I've been is mid June

My daughter asked about me taking her on a fishing trip maybe second week of May.

What say you guys: a bit too early or is every year different?

I was thinking of staying in Bamfield and fishing the local spots in the Sound

thanks for any comments on success rate for that time of the yeAr

Late May is on again, off again. Had some very good trips, but a lot depends on if the fish swing into the sound. Main thing is to get out and have fun and the fish are the bonus.

May can be quite good but is more weather dependent than June-Aug, outside areas like Sail Rk can be good.

I've had lights out 50+ spring days in May and then scratched to find a fish other years. Last year mid May was pretty slow but if you got lucky and were in the right place at the right time there was some good action.

My first Bamfield charter was May 20th last year and the quality was pretty solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the talk recently regarding the exceptional warm water phenomena from Alaska, what is the Mackeral situation expected to be like?
Lure-washer

Currently towing a barge off the west coast and I've noticed those floating jellyfish, velella velella are here in the millions. Did they ever leave or do we already have warm currents showing up??

Currently towing a barge off the west coast and I've noticed those floating jellyfish, velella velella are here in the millions. Did they ever leave or do we already have warm currents showing up??

The water is warmer than at this time last year (and most years) but we don't yet have the strong currents of warm water from the south connecting up through to the north. That usually doesn't really connect until late June or early July. I'm disappointed to hear that there are tons of velella velella out there already but on the bright side perhaps they will die off before the salmon season really gets in full swing. They were a PITA to clean off the lines last year and sometimes forced me to fish in different areas just to avoid them.

That's not good news....

X2-not good-just back into Van heading for the island tomorrow and already trying to figure out what this means. I had never seen these jellyfish in any numbers until last year-fish were further out on the hi-way and I think deeper-may have to try a very early trip to WH and give it a try. Still disturbing in the long run!!

Just means it will most likely be an offshore fishery if the temps up have to spend a little more time running to the deep edge not a biggie, sound fishing most likely will be weak with plentiful amounts of mackeral. Things change purhaps it will cool down.

Back