2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Quicker route is to run through Benson and Clark Islands, down Coaster Channel along back side of Effingham, past Meares, across to Sanford then Bami. Fog can be a major issue, so I would not be inclined to make that run without radar. There are a few rock piles to watch out for on the way across from Ukie over to Benson. This is a shorter route.

Out of Ukee popular/known spots include: Close - Great Bear & Alley inside, Red Can just outside. Little farther afield - Sail Rock inside, South Bank/Adipose outside. Little farther still - Meares & Cree inside, Starfish or Longbeach outside. Stop in Pioneer Boatworks in Ukee, they have a chart marked with all the popular banks.

Ukee

Some of the spots mentioned are on this list posted some time ago. Thought a re-post might help.

Austin Island/Barkley Sound/Salmon/N48 51.569 W125 18.616
Cree Island/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Coho/N48 51.103 W125 19.517
Great Bear - Alley Rocks/Barkley Sound/Chinook/N48 53.635 W125 26.830
Kirby Point /Barkley Sound/Chinook, Sockeye/N48 50.923 W125 12.578
Pachena Point/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Halibut/N48 42.041 W125 06.956
Rats Nose/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 35.500 W125 39.300
Swale Rock/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Sockeye/N48 55.443 W125 13.142
Barttlet Channel/Tofino/Chinook, Coho, Crab/N49 14.488 W126 04.000
Barttlet Island/Tofino/Chinook, Coho, Crab/N49 12.893 W126 06.029
Blunden/Tofino/Chinook/N49 10.789 W126 04.533
Cleland Island/Tofino/Chinook, Coho/N49 10.069 W126 05.625
Tofino/Crab/N49 01.971 W125 49.226
Tofino/Halibut/N49 08.262 W126 08.918
Portland Point/Tofino/Chinook, Coho/N49 03.731 W125 50.879
Tofino/Crab/N49 00.282 W125 49.114
7 Mile/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 44.500 W125 16.800
Big Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 38.532 W125 46.779
Eagles Nest/Ucluelet/Chinook/N48 57.755 W125 36.371
Outside South Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 48.907 W125 38.533
South Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 50.344 W125 34.938
Wya Point/Ucluelet/Chinook/N48 58.424 W125 37.025

Headed over to Ukee next week for vacation and bringing the boat, any suggestions for temporary moorage in Ucluelet

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Ukee town run boat basin will have lots of spots this time of year. Excellent facility. Someone on here may have the manager's cell #. Island West is fine but more expensive. There is a pay launch at Island West and an updated free launch to the west of the boat basin.

Nice information guys! I think we'll be hauling my boat to Tofino Friday, with the intention of spending a night a hot springs cove. It would be great to pick up a salmon or hali for the BBBQ. Are there any spots near Flores that are worth fishing? I didn't look up all the coordinates above, so excuse me if something is listed there.

Ukee, thanks for your time today. Really appreciate it. I'd called 3 or 4 others and they were no help. Let me know if I can ever help (or even take you out for a fish) in the beecher bay/sooke area.

Hi 777 your welcome anytime there's lots of fish for everyone you will have to let me know how you make out. Looks like you picked some great weather calm seas and sunshine good luck and enjoy the springs there pretty neat.

Keith, the mechanic at Alberni power marine saved my bacon today. He did a legit job on the work (and let me watch), and even addressed a small job that made a nice performance increase. I was happy with everything.

Any word on the toqat launch and parking? Pain in the arse last year having to go to ukee all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice information guys! I think we'll be hauling my boat to Tofino Friday, with the intention of spending a night a hot springs cove. It would be great to pick up a salmon or hali for the BBBQ. Are there any spots near Flores that are worth fishing? I didn't look up all the coordinates above, so excuse me if something is listed there.

Hey 777 how did you did around Tofino, I'm heading over to the island this week and am thinking of running up to hot springs cove and hopefully fishing on the way

Hi Airon,

To tell you the truth we didn't do any fishing. The seas were 3 meters, and I have a 22 ft boat; after running the bar into hot springs cove, I didn't feel like doing it twice more to try to fish in those seas. I guess I sound like a Victorian, but that was the first time I'd had my boat in water like that. Apparently it wasn't even that bad compared to how it can get. There were at least 3 other (bigger) boats fishing just inside the channel from hot springs cove. I don't know how they did, but they only left because the wind was coming up. Presumably they were getting some action.

Thanks for the reply

Yes, that last open stretch around the point into hot springs cove can get pretty hairy

Went out a couple days ago lots of halibut and lingcod was a white meat trip with full limits, salmon fishing has been a little spotty so I have had to work hard some days to get limits of Chinook. A little further north of us the Springs are in big numbers so it won't be long until they have worked there way down to us can't wait. Offshore there was quite a bit of feed on the surface. FYI - The Swale Rock area was infested with tiny jellyfish and next to no fish showing on the sounder.

Out fishing off Swale Rock today for a couple hours, only one tiny salmon dragged for a while
Have had prawn traps out for last few days and seem to be full of these horrid hagfish every time with only a few prawns and a ton of slime, any way to keep these things out?
Anyone know a good way to clean the slime off?

Vinegar in a spray bottle will help cut the slime. Other trick is not to get them scared and flip them out quickly before they panic. Hali's are plentiful for sure. Last year the big push of Chinook started around the May long weekend, so hopefully those northern fish push down our way soon!!!

Great May Long Weekend

Jeffy goes Westcoast.......

Headed up to Salmon Beach with firelight and jeffywestcoast. Jeff has never caught a halibut before so we thought we would try to help him out with that.

We fished the lighthouse bank for a bit on Saturday afternoon.

Firelight with the first spring of the trip.

Jeff hammered the lings....

Continued.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back