2014 Tuna Adventures

Sculpin

As per seadna's request.

The 2013 season was a blast even though the weather didn't co-operate as much as 2012. We got out a few times and even got to try the live bait thing. The shootout was a huge success and I think it will be bigger and better for 2014. It was really great meeting a lot of other tuna addicts and I hope to meet some more in 2014.

The whole objective to this fishery for me is doing it safely and to have fun. I hope others get to experience the fun safely this coming season. There has been a absolute ton of great information shared on this forum. I truly appreciate all the info the seasoned veterans have offered up over the last couple of years on various threads. Anyone wanting to get into this fishery should do your homework and research it as much as you can. The best way IMO to get into it is to hop on a boat that has done it before and see what it is all about.

I know this thread is a little early but let's start planning for some great adventures this coming summer :).

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
As a tuna lurker, I have to ask if continuing to troll fast in search of multiple hookups is a fun way to reel in the first fish. What about sliding to a stop, chumming and chucking jigs? Or does that take too much crew and gear to clear lines and get new rods in?

As a tuna lurker, I have to ask if continuing to troll fast in search of multiple hookups is a fun way to reel in the first fish. What about sliding to a stop, chumming and chucking jigs? Or does that take too much crew and gear to clear lines and get new rods in?

On my first trip out they trolled for close to a minute after a tuna hook up. Then they would slow down enough for guys to cast forward letting lure sink . Then jig it back up while still trolling.
Caught quite a few fish this way. Was a larger boat which made this eaier. Have some great experiance now & will be joining you all this summer. Setting boat up with manny rod holders.

Does anyone follow the water tempeture's with satalite image before making the long trips ???
Slick

Does anyone follow the water tempeture's with satalite image before making the long trips ???

Pretty much mandatory. Don't forget the chlorophyl charts. Some will say the chlorophyl charts trump the temp charts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to do the live bait thing again. Just trying to figure out the best time to go and trying to decide which outfit.

Put yourself on the waiting list for a Nexus card ( 5-6 months I'm told ) July weather permitting, I will make a run down to Lapush, then Westport from Bamfield and back. Catch is: everyone on board MUST have a Nexus card or you need to check in at Port Angeles.

For a charter suggestion, I had a great time w Mark Coleman 2 years ago - http://allriversguideservice.com

I have been waiting over 6 weeks for my renewal on nexus. I want to buy tuna gear on line but need my nexus to get to mail box in no line up !! They did take payment no problem !!
Slick

I think there may be a big announcement coming out this weekend... Kelly? Jon? Sculpin we know you are waiting...

Osama!!! I still have your tuna tackle. I have to get this to you somehow.

Big coasts Tuna Derby episode is on WLN right now

Back