2014 Fall /Winter and 2015 Spring boat projects

It would have been nice to have a mandrel bender, but…….

Attachments

• IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 774
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 776
Do you have picture of the brass dyes you used? And what kind of a machine did u use too press them into the rod holders for the flare and taper
Sorry no pics……they have already been turned into some other projects LOL
The base was just a taper bore in a piece of 3" solid stock but it was really tough to get the aluminum out so I just tapered them a bit on the lathe for appearance.
The flare was just cut from a piece of 3 inch solid stock to the reverse of the flare wanted, with a standard hyd press pushing the pipe onto the brass it flared easy….actually real easy, but be careful the aluminum only goes so far before it starts to tear.
I found a liberal slather of grease on the die each time made things much smother.

That's a sweet ride you have there Sr SQ! Nice job on the rod holders. I had plans and pictures of the dies Goatram made, but I can't find them. I know he greased every press as well. I think he went with the bigger pipe as well and lined them with white pvc pipe.

Thx Sculpin, I know its not alloy but I love my glass :) I was playing with the PVC liner idea but run out of time when I was building them.
After running them bare for a season I found no extra wear on the rod grips so Im not sure there is any benefit in putting them in?

The rocket launchers are all done now.

New VHF antennae mounts and deck light mounts.

OMG someone stole my bow rails!!!.......

To be continued....

Nice job, lots of work there. How have you mounted the nets?

Thx SS, I got tired of the nets dripping slimy goo all over the boat so I mounted to Lee 15* flush mount rodholders outward to keep the nets in.
They are easy to access but are far enough forward to not be in the way and the bags hang overboard, win win for me.

Sculpin, looking good a boat can never have to many rod holders. The RL mounts are a perfect place to store rods to protect them and they dont get tangled up and in your way.
Is that mount over the door for a sounder?

Sculpin, looking good a boat can never have to many rod holders. The RL mounts are a perfect place to store rods to protect them and they dont get tangled up and in your way.
Is that mount over the door for a sounder?

That's what I figured. Let's take tuna fishing as an example. 3 guys on board. 6 troll rod's, 3 rods for dead bait or jigs (if we can ever get this worked out lol), and 3 back up rods (for the previous 3) in case of break off's etc. = 12 rod's :).

Yes, the mount over the door way is for my 12" Lowrance Gen2 Touch. It's up there so everyone on deck can see what is going on and I can change the tunes or hit mute quite quickly as well :cool:.

Yes, the mount over the door way is for my 12" Lowrance Gen2 Touch. It's up there so everyone on deck can see what is going on and I can change the tunes or hit mute quite quickly as well :cool:.

It gives us all an opportunity to do our best to skip past Carly Rae Jepsen for before it gets cranked up by the Captain......

I know, what happens on the boat is to stay on the boat but.......:cool:

Thx SS, I got tired of the nets dripping slimy goo all over the boat so I mounted to Lee 15* flush mount rodholders outward to keep the nets in.
They are easy to access but are far enough forward to not be in the way and the bags hang overboard, win win for me.

Thanks that's what I was thinking of doing looks great and smooth. Nice job both of you guys

love how many rod holders u have ..perhaps I have some future rods sales coming my way..:)

I bought all my Ugly Sticks elsewhere buddy. I do need a couple more reels however ;). I'm looking for Avet MX's in limited edition green :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I figured. Let's take tuna fishing as an example. 3 guys on board. 6 troll rod's, 3 rods for dead bait or jigs (if we can ever get this worked out lol), and 3 back up rods (for the previous 3) in case of break off's etc. = 12 rod's :).

Nice, those screens are the bomb.
With the outside helm and all the rod holders your set-up to gun down the big ones

Keepin out of trouble Saturday night lol.

Not boat related but something to do.

Made up some cheap tig rod consumable holders.

Local building supply store stuff. Tough as nails and cost about $6.50 each in materials.

A saltwater pump and motor setup for a customer.

On to my gal. I installed a 4 beam Rigid Industries light on the roof below the radar dome last year. It worked great for docking etc. but I didn't like the fact that it was fixed. I really wanted a search light from the beginning and broke down and bought a proper one. My plan is to redo my radar mount and have the dome a bit higher to allow clearance for the new search light. The new mount will have brackets off the sides to allow mounting of small flood lights port and starboard for lighting up docking situations at night.

The smaller 5 LED lights are the two side lights for the mount.

The ACR seems like a great search light from everything I have researched about it. Time will tell once installed.

Continued...

Ha ha. I'm unpacking it tonight. You'll have to wait bwaaa ha ha :p:).

I am going to rip out the old passenger seat and move the existing Bostrom Wide Ride captains chair to the passenger side tonight.

I don't think I will get the new one in but who knows :).

Fun stuff. Beats hating that is for sure :D.

Back