2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

We were out early this morning again. One nice-ish coho and a few undersize, but the springs were out in full force. Two keepers, one 16# and another smaller one (legal but not worthy of the scale). One caught on a irish cream and the other on a green splatter back hootchie which seemed to be the hottest lure today. There was a couple of undersize springs as well and then it died off. For some reason I though the springs were pretty much done.
All out front of French Cr. marina in 200'-250' of water fishing around 160-180'.

Lost my first fish to a big bad sea lion at the Little Q today. Was casting from the beach. Of the ten or so boats out in front I didn't see any nets out. Lots of Chinooks about.

Anybody been out lately? Has this rain got the fish moving at all? I was out Saturday and it was dreadful, pretty much trolled from the Little Q back to FC and saw nothing on the sounder.

I was out this morning at my usual crack of dawn. This time I headed up towards the Englishman River, thought maybe there would be a spring or coho in the area. Natta, ziltch, barely a fish to be seen on the sounder. I did pick up a couple of decent size rock fish on the way back so not all was lost. The fog rolled in and I couldn't see land anymore so I headed back. Fish or no fish it beats the heck out of working.
Does anyone know if the coho ran up the creek yet? I don't think they have.
I talked to one fellow who caught a smaller coho so there"s still some out there. He went all the way to Little Q and didn't see a thing out there.

HedgeHog:-

The Coho are still to peak........should get better as we hit October......

Heard reports of 15 to 18lb Chinook being caught "out front".....nice shiny chromers....

Heard there's lots of bait around........

Yup, the bait is one thing I did see lots of. Maybe it's like last weekend, Saturday dead, Sunday pretty good.

I thought October was the peak for coho but with all this rain I thought they might had skipped out early.

Stay tuned.

I got out yesterday solo for a couple hours. Got a pretty nice haul of prawns , would have had more but my second set went missing last week off Mistaken. Decided to go for a quick troll so I headed to Gerald and did the inside tack and no fish and not a lot of bait. Noticed a lot of birds on the outside so I headed over and there was tons of bait showing and every kind of bird you can think of. I trolled past Douglas toward Yeo and nailed a beauty wild ten pond coho. Thought he was a spring and it was 25 inches. Hit a UV hootchy at 125 feet. When I cleaned him he was full of Krill, haven't seen that in a while. Fried him up for dinner he was yummy. Got a new iPad so I have no clue how to post a pic..........BRS

Launched the new boat and went to Ballenas for a quick troll. Only did two passes and got a nice little spring looked a little short so released him gently. Pretty happy with the way she fished, have to do some changes but overall I'm very happy. She is an 18 foot hardtop Hourston with a stinky 125 Merc two stroke with an 8 horse Honda kicker, wish I knew how to post pics on my new iPad, I will figure it out. Anyway she is in the water for good and gonna drop the traps when the monsoons settle down a bit. Anyone need some Christmas prawns drop me a line I can always use a hand pulling traps...........BRS

They're back....tried french creek hump yesterday at high tide for a couple hours, released 35 cm spring, hit off clip -gone, played and lost big one as it made a dash at the boat, landed a 10 lb chinook. Hot rod was with a "glow" flasher and "glow" spoons all close to bottom. Very little debrie after all the heavy storms the past weeks!

Back