2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

Given the lack of rain in August, I wouldn't write the Q's of just yet...dry years in the past the fishing didn't get hot until 2nd week in September.

I'm sorry to hear that many are having a tough time catching fish this last little while. If it's any consolation I've been doing very well and would consider it to be one of the best late August fishing I've had. I've been fishing south of French Creek...Ballenas etc. However, one of my neighbours has been doing well up at the Little Q.

I stopped at the little Q bridge on Monday night and there was plenty of pinks circling around but I didn't see any springs. I'm pretty sure they haven't hardly started yet. Hopefully the wind cooperates for a day or two.

Some springs did go up the little q on sunday, saw them making there way up past the cedar grove campground stretch

Just about to drop my boat in the water at French Creek after working all year like a dog to reno it. Pretty new to boat fishing so I've been following the posts here trying to learn what I can. Any tips would certainly be well received!

Anybody got access to Chinook number counts in the Big and Little Q's so far this last little while?

Good?
Bad?
Average?

I was out at the crack of dawn today for a couple of hours before work. It was hot for a change. I lost a decent spring followed by a losing a coho at the boat. It was getting a little frustrating as I had limited time, then BANG, a nice spring (24#) which damn near stripped my line off before I got things under control. Great fun! I also landed a 4# coho as a bonus before heading off to work. All were caught on a cookie and cream spoon, fishing in about 250' of water and 160' deep. There was also a lone unidenified whale or dolphin out there that surfaced a few times, all grey from I could tell. If I had to guess I would say it was 20-30' long, couldn't see the head. This was all out front between the marina and the hump.

They are definitely at little and big q

Well they shure are at the little Q! Fished there most of the day today and saw something I have never seen springs do before. There were huge schools of them (quite a way off shore & opposite the river mouth) circling on the surface like chums. They were very shy because the schools dissapeared as we approached with the boat. MOST frustrating seeing all those fish and never getting a bite. I was wishing I had a spinning reel and some buz bombs. We tried all sorts of gear at various depths without any luck at all. They seemed pretty dark and were probably more interested in sex that food. We went back to French Creek in the evening and caught a nice Coho (and lost another). Cheers; twogone

Fished off french creek from nine till 12 today lots of action managed to boat three nice coho (8-9 pounds including a hatch job) and lose just as many, cookies n creme and irish creme spoons were what worked for my friend and I. Fished 150-200 in 200-220 feet of water. Hedgehog were you the gentlement we met at the ramp weighing your 24 as we were leaving? It was a pleasant couple hours on the water, I even managed to get out for a bear/deer hunt in the evening gotta love the island!

I don't know about gentleman but that was me. Hunting already, seems like it's still September. The island is the best place on earth!

Out of FC. Is Anyone having success, getting some lings ? Need to take my two young sons out, something they can handle themselves :) Any hints on an area to try...

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of FC. Is Anyone having success, getting some lings ? Need to take my two young sons out, something they can handle themselves :) Any hints on an area to try...

I've caught a lot of really nice lings out at sangster. On the north end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back