2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sunshine Coasters!

I am coming across from the Island to visit my folks in Pender Harbour this weekend and hope to get out on the water for some fishing. I have done a decent amount of fishing around the area over the years, but am certainly not as familiar as SVI. I've fished up and down Texeda, Quarry Bay of Nelson, around Francis Peninsula, etc.

I figure I would mostly go for salmon, but also will have a herring jig handy if any bait shows up and also wouldn't mind drifting(my dad doesn't have a hali anchor setup) for hali if someone points me in a right direction.

Any tips would be great. I am assuming that the salmon are deep there this time of year?! PM me if you don't mind sharing, but don't want to share with the world!

Thanks.

Stay away from Quarry Bay. That's my sweet spot....:p. Actually, I've only ever caught ling and cabezon there so have at'r. Have caught salmon at the power lines off texada. Prawns open April 1 in area 16-18. I'd get on that if I were you. Too bad ling isn't open yet..... Good luck and have fun mate. I'll take care of the prawns and fish in our waters.

Went out to day for Crab and trolled a couple of hours while the traps soaked.

Was surprised by the amount of action. Spent time mostly West of the Bell, ended up keeping 1 spring, on green stripe flasher glow grean teaser head @ 66ft in about 80 ft of water. Shallower rods were the busier rods, but nothing of any size.

First trap had 3 undersize + 1 MONSTER of a male.
2nd trap was empty...

Kinda disappointed about the crab results, but excited about the salmon season.

Had a nice lunch of fresh spring & crab.

Last edited by a moderator:
april fools gold/silver

well only got back in the water yesterday after having issues with the boat
done a small trip out to give it a bit of a shake down and
got back in to find a 15lber had been caught
so that got me fired up to go out there this morning
and christened the new rod and reel as well a the new hook end (trying something different?????)
after a good fight and running around in a circle (fishing solo )
a nice bright 23lber went in the net

peahead from the forum many thanks for getting the pic's for me

on the down side... silly butt me forgot about center down rigger and lost the braid a 15lb ball and release clip
note to ones self always check to see if all the gear is up and in the boat before running...doh...lol

Attachments

• photos 069.jpg
    photos 069.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 469
.Put some blood on the new rig this weekend!!!!!Out on Friday and picked up a 14lb marble between the bell and pt.atkinson on a cookies and cream coho killer @ 127'. Back out again solo yesterday and got one deep in the harbour on another coho killer but green glow at 55' in 80' of water... Probably heading out again afterwork on Wednesday...

and christened the new rod and reel as well a the new hook end (trying something different?????)

Nice Spring !:D

Great reports guys...green with envy! I'm hoping to be out plying the Vancouver waters in a weeks time myself...though with the new boat I may have a hard time getting lines down :p

Headed over to the gulf islands this weekend and fished around Saltspring and Galiano on Saturday and Sunday. Had 2 nice hits on Saturday and landed both. Bonked a 20lb spring and then released a 10lber about 30 minutes later. Was fishing near Tent Island but along the Saltspring shoreline. Beauty day out there. Lot's of people out prawning, including the one boat who got to watch me fight the 20lber solo with a couple lines down. All worked out in the end but it's a challenge out there as a 1 man operation. That boat actually yelled at me when the fish hit as I was marking a point on my GPS so thx for the heads up!

When I read past threads about fishing in Vancouver around this time of year it seems the action is concentrated on the harbour, bowen, and the hump. Since I am coming out of the south arm I am closer to T10 and Sandheads, does it make sence to target winter springs in these locations in the early season or are these locations primarily late season locations when the salmon runs are coming in?

Also have a fishing report,

Fished the harbour in between the tankers for a few hours on Sunday evening, no luck for me, but did see some bait balls on and fish on the sounder. Fished seemed to be mid water instead of on the bottom. I was trolling green glow flasher with Irish cream 3.5 spoon and green flasher with green glow needle fish. Beautiful day on the water, not many boats out.

Capt

or maybe go the other way, tsawwassen coal port has been getting action this year aswell.

Fished the harbour yesterday, from jericho to a mile past the bell, released a 57cm spring, biggest undersize/oversize of the year on a 3.5 cop car spoon at 85ft in 120ft of water. Crabbing was great, but prawning wasn't, counted 8 floats in me honey hole, lasted 4 months though can't complain.

Crabbing was OK ,chicken skins best bait,crab molting seems to be over,prawning so so maybe needing longer soak, no salmon for us. Did have a problem at Mcdonald Beach at low water. Rotor tilled the bottom with a 26' at a 3' low.

on the down side... silly butt me forgot about center down rigger and lost the braid a 15lb ball and release clip
note to ones self always check to see if all the gear is up and in the boat before running...doh...lol

WOW!! beauty fish there wildthing.
man did I ever pick the wrong time to sell the boat, knew I shoulda held onto it a month longer.
oh well just makes me work a little faster on the new one, should be in the water next week
Tim

You are welcome John, Very nice chrome fish and great job on the solo. And a fabulous sunny weekend it was! Unfortuneatly I wasn't able to partake in the wetting of any lines :-( what with all my busy family Easter festivities over there but was great to bump into you and see your well earned success !

oh well just makes me work a little faster on the new one, should be in the water next week
Tim

Good to hear she made it ok and is nearing the water !

Last edited by a moderator:
Any action on the hump yet...easy now...just fishing responces boys?

should be ready to roll next weekend!

Getbent

Hows the coal port panning out Canso?

@getbent 3 Hali's (25, 40 &60)pulled out of the coalports last week that I know of..... Has this happened before? Lots of sping action too!

Springs can be really good at the coal port...dont fish there much any more since the larger boat, but used to do really well there for sure.
Hali at the coal port...havent heard of that before though...

Getbent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back