2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishin_magician

Ok. Out with the old and in with the new...it's time to kick off the 2013 Thread! Hopefully we are able to support the thread this year to deserve our own sticky!

I've heard several good reports lately...the most recent by a local regular boxed a 20 pounder in the last few days in the harbour. Lots of small herring around and a few of the fish are coughing up 3" herring when hitting the floor of the boat. I have been out twice since New Year's but haven't been rewarded with a legal fish but did feed the seal the best of the lot... :(

I know of a couple of nice fish from Tunstall over the last 2 days.

One spoon which has producing well for some local anglers has been the "Homeland Security" which is basically a Red Racer with Orange instead of Red and a Gold Cross Hatch instead of Silver---made by Silver Horde in the 4.0 size.

I've been hooking my fish on Glow Cop Cars in the 3.5" size (which Pacific Angler has some of the ORIGINALS in stock if anyone cares----I grabbed a few a couple of days ago) and the smallest glow cop car made by Silver Horde. The Irish Cream continues to produce as well.

Crabbing has been good..and prawning has been good.

Anyone else out here?

Ok. Out with the old and in with the new...it's time to kick off the 2013 Thread! Hopefully we are able to support the thread this year to deserve our own sticky!

I've heard several good reports lately...the most recent by a local regular boxed a 20 pounder in the last few days in the harbour. Lots of small herring around and a few of the fish are coughing up 3" herring when hitting the floor of the boat. I have been out twice since New Year's but haven't been rewarded with a legal fish but did feed the seal the best of the lot... :(

I know of a couple of nice fish from Tunstall over the last 2 days.

One spoon which has producing well for some local anglers has been the "Homeland Security" which is basically a Red Racer with Orange instead of Red and a Gold Cross Hatch instead of Silver---made by Silver Horde in the 4.0 size.

I've been hooking my fish on Glow Cop Cars in the 3.5" size (which Pacific Angler has some of the ORIGINALS in stock if anyone cares----I grabbed a few a couple of days ago) and the smallest glow cop car made by Silver Horde. The Irish Cream continues to produce as well.

Crabbing has been good..and prawning has been good.

Anyone else out here?

Well, guess I am going to have to add to my own thread..

A guide friend of mine was out yesterday and boxed a beauty in the mid teens from the harbour on a Flamin' Hans.

Another guide bud was out Tuesday and boxed a couple of beauties in lower Howe Sound also on spoons.

Anyone else "fishin" out there?

been out but not catching
may be this coming weekend. will see what the weather man brings us.....lol

oh and i have to do boat a few boat maintenance jobs
so they got be done before i go out ((new blower and adjust power steering pump belt on the inboard))
would like to take the lower swing step off the swim grid as it rattles when trolling on the kicker.

Will be gettin out next week (few days off) looks like nice clear, cold and calm weather in the forcast. Cant wait!
nothin but undersize last 2 times out

Yep, gonna be a few beauty days around over the next while.

Headed out fishing from River Rock marina-fishing from a 28' Shamrock-spent all day in front of the city and the weather was stellar/visibility was incredible.

Only one small Spring Salmon-released-and another knockoff on the downrigger but the amazing conditions made up for the meagre results.

Bald Eagles abound these days.
IMGP3161_zpscfb2c81d.jpg

IMGP3162_zps14ea8387.jpg

Leaving the marina
IMGP3163_zps4110012e.jpg

IMGP3164_zps6e1527fd.jpg

Yes that's snow!
IMGP3167_zpsf2083b3a.jpg

IMGP3171_zps64c1ac9d.jpg

Tea Time!
IMGP3168_zps47690046.jpg

The Backdrop
IMGP3166_zps41700eb0.jpg

IMGP3169_zpsc38a1337.jpg

IMGP3170_zpse3438485.jpg

IMGP3172_zps15708806.jpg

IMGP3174_zpsb9381277.jpg

IMGP3175_zps06a9bb97.jpg

IMGP3176_zps1dea4320.jpg

IMGP3177_zps245a39a7.jpg

IMGP3181_zpsa515dbf1.jpg

These mountains are rarely seen from downtown let along from the middle of the bay.
IMGP3189_zps5ca7b482.jpg

Surf Scoter-this population has crashed & burned.Twenty years ago there were over 250,000 of these over wintering in English Bay today there remain less than 5,000.
IMGP3182_zps167d919d.jpg

One Squib we landed-C&R strongly of course.
IMGP3183_zpsc310f176.jpg

Dungeness Dinner for a Lucky Fisherman
IMGP3190_zpsf160d7f9.jpg

Heading for the Barn
IMGP3191_zps3cfa0b70.jpg

IMGP3192_zps123e7f7d.jpg

well due to the creek coming into the marina at gibsons we where iced in
not taking chances with my glass hull as an ice breaker
so have to see what tomorrow brings or get the tin boats to free the slips so we can get out... :-(

Forgot to add -this is what was working for both fish Silver Horde Ace Hi Flies in plain White & Chartreuse behind a Chartreuse double Glo flasher.

IMGP3193_zps98e0970b.jpg

wow!! Pimped out hootchies w/> a pearl knecklace :D

065.jpg 13lb Football white spring, On the 4" green/glo Apex in 110 ft right on bottom
Had another one pop the clip in 140 ft of water gear at 120

View attachment 5724 13lb Football white spring, On the 4" green/glo Apex in 110 ft right on bottom
Had another one pop the clip in 140 ft of water gear at 120

That Yotee Glow Apex is a good one...as is the Army truck one...that size works well and on a 6 to 7' leader behind a flasher with 25 pound test. Have caught many winter springs on those....always lots of action....regardless.

Haven't fished those for 2 winters....have a few of those...and yep...they work. Many scoff at that lure for Winter Chinooks but yep...they'll match with spoons.

I had an odd ball couple few the chrome belly and those were gooders....factory seconds or samples I guess...

Thanks for reminding me of these with your post! Nice fish!

X2 on that magician I also drag those green/chrome and they are equally deadly to a spoon for me in the winter/summer. Usually run them naked with no flasher just a 6 ft leader to a bead swivel and snap. and the other lines i'll run flasher with spoons... usually alwase get hits on the apex first seems to **** em off I guess

Was filled with lil firecracker herring to

Yep...nice. I am going to pull out a few of those and run a couple of those on the bottom next trip out...a fish off against the "leading lure" as of late.

20th spring.jpg 10lb, marbled flesh this time. 2 undersize just short
Keeper was on Apex, undersize ones took the green/glo 3.5 yote 130ft right on bottom. Full of lil firecracker herring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back