2013 Tuna adventures

Water is looking pretty green right now in our canyons. Hopefully things clean up soon
Ya. Looks like a long haul to the ideal water. Would love to go wendsday but work overrides.

Wow. Its been a while. I had to dig this thread up from the archives.

I have been getting some reports on tuna. Canadian and American boats are fishing off our coast 80 to 100 miles out. The blue water is a ways off but it is in reach off tofino tho it is not ideal whats there will have to do. I do hope to be reporting something this week. Hopefully this this will be the "official beginning of the 2013 canadian albacore sport fishing season!

Is it safe to say that the first sport caught tuna of the year in canada has yet to be claimed?

Finally looks like some good weather coming our way. I sure hope those SSTs come around this week. I'd like to take a poke either Friday or Saturday.

Who's in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - now that we finally have some nice water conditions coming our way, the warm water has moved farther offshore. Tues-Fri are all looking like nice conditions for tuna fishing but it might be a bit more of a run to get to the fish. S. Washington state has been doing well as the warm water is close enough. I've not heard of any tuna out of Neah Bay nor on the Canadian side of the border. I think it is safe to say that the first sport caught tuna in Canadian waters is yet to be claimed. Go get 'em Birdsnest.

Looks like 59 degree blue water 60NM west of Ukee just outside Loudoun. Hope with the NW winds subsiding, the warm water will sneak in a little closer. We shall see

Anyone else going to have a look on Friday? looks like I'm geared up for a trip to Loudoun Canyon. Lets get a few boats together!

Cheers!

did ya get a hold of tuna-don? he should be ready.

Looking at NOAA site, the warmer water has moved farther out?- Bah! Ripcharts has no new images...stinkin clouds!
If we get a decent view of current water conditions, I will be heading over on Sat or Sun (to dodge the Friday show at BC Ferries)
I'll buddy boat from Bamfield if that works for anyone?

i am workin at harrisons or i would be in..... fresh reports from southbank start sunday!!!

Hmm, checked temps from La Perouse Buoy and Cape Elizabeth Buoy - both are showing temps rising over last 24-36 hrs
Temps for both right now are 57.2 F - so maybe there IS tuna water within reach?

Word from my Commercial Buddies is they moved. Were 50 miles out, now around 80 or so...

Trying to be patient... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the info Nog.

From around 3 different sites I have been checking the warm water has moved out and the chloro's look even worse:(. I'm ready to go anytime just waiting for the stars to align. Sooonnnnn I hope:). Looks good temp and distance wise out of Winter Harbor right now. Hardy as well. I've heard folks go after them out of Hardy.

I'll be out this weekend and had considered a tuna trip but it looks like the warm water is a bit far off. However, I have observed 3 commercial fishing boats on marinetraffic.com that have been working the area between Nitinat Canyon and Louden Canyon for the past few days. Maybe they were pulling nets (based on the pictures of the boats) but they did work that edge over hard and were moving around 8kts most of the time.

It's Saturday for the Reef Raider. Just finalizing the crew but looks like we are a go. Would be nice to have a couple boats out there with not having any temp shots

*#^k it!!! Ill go and all I may get is a big gas bill and a sore butt. Ive been skunked so many times in the past whats one more time. I fished tuna 3 years prior the last two without any data. I just went and fished at 30 to 40 miles. I did catch fish in green water and 13C water. Who's to say it cant happen again. Ill call it a glorified bird watching trip.

The sea gods need more sacrifices from us anyways. Can't just slay em every time! Gotta give a little back!....HeHe

Back