2013 Summer Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

What an excellent weather weekend for renny,fishing was slow for trollers on the beach, cut pluggers were doing well on friday .Salmon at the chicken ranch picked up with average size 10-18lbs the odd one bigger,lots of bait showing offshore as well.Hali fishing continues to be very good on the anchor on the inside, a few boats drifted on the ranch side and were able to get limits of halis 15-35 lbs,crabbing remains poor in the bay due too 5 commercial crab boats .

Last week tried around hole in the wall for salmon (nothing) and managed 6 hali's to 45lbs on the bank.

hali was good for us too sat and sun.
saurday spring fishing we managed 6 in close (some boats were able to get there limits on the ranch but it was hard)
sunday saw a few fish caught at hole in the wall, picked one up ourselves at the can.

Subarea 20-2 and portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light)--------------------------------------------Effective 00:01 hours September 4 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2013 in Subarea 20-2 and a portion of Subarea 20-1 shoreward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point, you may retain four (4) coho per day, two (2) of which may be wild (unmarked).

Subarea 20-2 and portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light)--------------------------------------------Effective 00:01 hours September 4 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2013 in Subarea 20-2 and a portion of Subarea 20-1 shoreward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point, you may retain four (4) coho per day, two (2) of which may be wild (unmarked).

So the big question is will the ho's show up in good numbers and when?

Also wondering I'm heading up there next week hopefully there's some fish in close or the weathers nice and I can head out to the bank

Crabbing: still slow in the bay.
Springs: pretty slow all over, decent bait showing up in and off shore so the fish cant be far behind. There are some good quick bites happening all over, usually lasting half-1 hour. Jut right place right time. There's a few fish in the 20's being caught, mostly teens and feeders still.
Halibut: Generally good, same thing they are in small pockets hitting hard in short windows of time.

My report from sunday:
5 halibut in about 2 hours of drifting. 4/5 came in the last 25 minutes. also hooked one trolling at logan 30' on the rigger in 60' water.
5 springs to 25lbs in the boat, lost 2. beach and ranch

The charter companies im fishing with this summer still have some weekend and weekday bookings available for June, July, and August. pm if any interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crabbing: still slow in the bay.
Springs: pretty slow all over, decent bait showing up in and off shore so the fish cant be far behind. There are some good quick bites happening all over, usually lasting half-1 hour. Jut right place right time. There's a few fish in the 20's being caught, mostly teens and feeders still.
Halibut: Generally good, same thing they are in small pockets hitting hard in short windows of time.

My report from sunday:
5 halibut in about 2 hours of drifting. 4/5 came in the last 25 minutes. also hooked one trolling at logan 30' on the rigger in 60' water.
5 springs to 25lbs in the boat, lost 2. beach and ranch

The charter companies im fishing with this summer still have some weekend and weekday bookings available for June, July, and August. pm if any interest.

Did you get those 4 halibut drifting on the bank?

Been fishing East Pt and Camper for a few days, NADA. One bite and a few rock fish. Any ideas would be appreciated. Using anchovies, hitting lots of depths. Fish just do not seem to be there for me. This is my first time fishing out here in early June. Usually get fish in July, August. So should there be a differenc or is it just my bad luck? Help. Is the beach slow for everyone?

NOTE: EXTREME low morning tides this coming week will cancel or delay early morning launches and river travel and will probably expose the new sand bar outside the river mouth as it is very shallow this year. If you are planning a trip up to fish check your tides.

I am hearing today that there is a big problem in there in there mornings getting out from river..... Any truth to this....

What's the lowest tide for exiting the river in a deep v boat?

Is anyone ever going to build a decent place to launch in Renfrew? That rivers no joy at high tide let alone low. The place would get more business with a better facility.

Looks like quite a few boats got out ok this morning. Heard it was bad yesterday because of the swell. A few mishaps.

sand bar

NOTE: EXTREME low morning tides this coming week will cancel or delay early morning launches and river travel and will probably expose the new sand bar outside the river mouth as it is very shallow this year. If you are planning a trip up to fish check your tides.

I am hearing today that there is a big problem in there in there mornings getting out from river..... Any truth to this....

just got back from fishing renfrew,the rook,ray and i got to reny at about 4 pm on friday,put the boat in the river,,moured at butch's dock
till sunday morning,stayed there in his cabin,,before we went out for the eve bite,butch told me that you must hug the wall to get out into the bay,,and go down the wall for quite a bit,,big sand bar and a 4 foot breaker to get thru also,,we did just fine in my 181/2 foot striper,,but the boat that was in front of us,,about a 23 ft boat,well he was a bit to the left of where we were comming out,,he got hung up on the sand/rock bar,,he quickly pulled up his motor and the breaking wave got him off the bar,,,he got extremell lucky,,he could have had all kinds of problems.
fished,owen,rock pile camper and down to east point then that was it,,we had 2 commercial crab traps out and got only 1 keeper that eveing,,and as you may well know the commies had a wack of traps in the bay,,it was pretty calm out that eve
we got out at 5:30 on saturday morning,started at camper,trolled there a few hours,down to the rock pile then finished off at east point,,and huge swells comming in most of the day,,and then we checked our crab traps and 2 f__ing crab,,all day soak,,,brutal,and all we caught for fish was 1 67cm ling cod,and 2 big rock fish,not a good fishing trip at all,,the fish shuold be there in a few weeks the locals say..
oh yeah and after all that bad luck i lost $50.00 playing dice with the locals around butch's dock,,great people.
on sunday morning we slept in and got up at 7am and the river was exremelly low,so we decided to head back to victoria,there were no fish anyways,,
we will go back up for july 1st weekend,,the fish will be there,,but so will that dam rock cocert up on the hill,,last time it kept me up all night,,oh well,,that's fishing,,,but hey,we had a good time just getting away..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to ask this here, but I made another post the other day and it got no responses. Ill paste it here. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking for cabin and moorage in Port Renfrew.

Hello folks, Wondering if anyone can recommend a cabin (or 2, or 3) with moorage in Renfrew. We have three families (7 adults, 7 children). Were looking for something for a weekend in June/ July with moorage at the site. Were respectful, responsible and low key, but will want to enjoy some late night beverages by the fire without causing a disturbance to any Ned Flanders types. Any tips would be appreciated.

And if you have any fishing tips for Renfrew, they would be appreciated. I haven't been there since Nirvanas first record.

Isn't a lot to rent that i know of with moorage. Could try Trailhead lodge, they have cabins and I believe moorage.. That is all I can think of with moorage. They might have other ideas. Sorry that I can't help you more, good luck.

Salt river cabin or galligers fish camp, salt river is only two bedroom galligers fish camp is 4 1 bedroom cabins both have moorage

Back