2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

You're quick John! I was going to post it after a few things were confirmed as changes will be made but that is the gist of it. Also feel free to messege us with and issues or input.

Bump.........and a little bit of theme song for the shoot out lol.

[LQGGQ-FCe_w] http://youtu.be/LQGGQ-FCe_w

Website updates look great Kelly!

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers John. Sat down with Jon and Jeff this weekend to discuss a few things. The rules will likely see some tweaking as well as the sponsorship list and we are talking to a few exciting companies about headlining the event. Can't wait.

Big stuff coming up for sure!

Full details and posters going to print in the next couple weeks...

Event is 50% sold out already so I'm guessing she's a go!! LOL!! Seminars, dinners, free beer, band and cash and thousands of bux worth of gear to give away...

Toona time!!

Cheers John. Sat down with Jon and Jeff this weekend to discuss a few things. The rules will likely see some tweaking as well as the sponsorship list and we are talking to a few exciting companies about headlining the event. Can't wait.

Big stuff coming up for sure!

Full details and posters going to print in the next couple weeks...

Event is 50% sold out already so I'm guessing she's a go!! LOL!! Seminars, dinners, free beer, band and cash and thousands of bux worth of gear to give away...

Toona time!!

Sounds awesome Jeff. Can't wait to see who the other sponsors are! I'll see you Weds. buddy if your around. I will have beers in the cooler. Hopefully we can hang that steel fast enough to have a few at the end of the day with you lol.

See you then buddy, Kildonan and Biggest show up the next day I think... Good times good people and plans for shootout madness!!! LOL!
Sounds awesome Jeff. Can't wait to see who the other sponsors are! I'll see you Weds. buddy if your around. I will have beers in the cooler. Hopefully we can hang that steel fast enough to have a few at the end of the day with you lol.

See you then buddy, Kildonan and Biggest show up the next day I think... Good times good people and plans for shootout madness!!! LOL!

Bump. I'll give you a call after lunch. It will be good to talk to you about some of the shootout stuff. I have a case of beer on ice ready to go:cool:.

Since it 40-60 miles offshore what size of boats are being used? I have an 18' with a 115 is this respectable?

Since it 40-60 miles offshore what size of boats are being used? I have an 18' with a 115 is this respectable?

I have only been out once....but have followed these threads intently and I sure don't think you want to venture out that far in an 18; I sure know I wouldn't. ;) What is your 18 and what is your comfort level? Do you have a kicker? I'd watch my weather window intently.....maybe Birdsnest will chime in as I think his boat 'may' be a 20ish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Made three trips last year. 12 foot tinny with a 35lb thrust Ninkota. Just bring extra batteries.

Funny as it is. back in the 90's we used to come out from Kelowna with our 14 aluminum and 20hpr outboard. The boat had a ninkota on so we left it there for emergency. We blew up the 20 horse halfway between Whittle Stone and Beale. That 35lbthrust electric got us all the way back to the seabeam.

Ps sorry guys did not mean to side track this thread.

Personally, I think you need to have large twins and follow the 1/3 fuel rules. I'd love to attend but having a single on my boat makes me nervous even with a reliable kicker. Using a kicker at a reliable 4-5 mph 60 miles off shore drifting off course could mean a 15-18 hour return run. If its rough, I'm not even sure a kicker would keep you on a decent return track. It could even take longer. Not my idea of fun.

I have only been out once....but have followed these threads intently and I sure don't think you want to venture out that far in an 18; I sure know I wouldn't. ;) What is your 18 and what is your comfort level? Do you have a kicker? I'd watch my weather window intently.....maybe Birdsnest will chime in as I think his boat 'may' be a 20ish?

2013 Thunderjet 8' beam, 115 main, 9.9 kicker, 48 gallon tank, VHF radio and a HDS 7 with charts.

Personally, I think you need to have large twins and follow the 1/3 fuel rules. I'd love to attend but having a single on my boat makes me nervous even with a reliable kicker. Using a kicker at a reliable 4-5 mph 60 miles off shore drifting off course could mean a 15-18 hour return run. If its rough, I'm not even sure a kicker would keep you on a decent return track. It could even take longer. Not my idea of fun.

X2 for me also, our boat is 22' but single with 9.9 HT, and I would not want to have to come back 40, 50, or 60 miles on the kicker if it was flat calm, let alone snotty out there. I know that guys have done it before, but not for me. One of these days I want to get out there on this fishery, but that will take winning the loto to buy the right boat, or pairing up with someone (with the right boat) some time to go out there and slay them. If one was to go out there in a smaller, single engine boat, i would definitely recommend going with a buddy boat that has twins and agrees, and is prepared ahead of time to tow you back if the $#!T hits the fan. These are an expensive fish to catch, but not worth your life.

2013 Thunderjet 8' beam, 115 main, 9.9 kicker, 48 gallon tank, VHF radio and a HDS 7 with charts.

We have been discussing a boat size minimum to try and ensure safety, as we knew some would try to push the boundaries. That boat is not designed for offshore fishing and this is the extreme end of offshore fishing. I would personally say no 100% to a boat that size. It's just not safe.

We have been discussing a boat size minimum to try and ensure safety, as we knew some would try to push the boundaries. That boat is not designed for offshore fishing and this is the extreme end of offshore fishing. I would personally say no 100% to a boat that size. It's just not safe.

I kinda figured, thanks but I guess I'll just dream...

Started a new thread with my comment to re-rail this thread.

Hi guys been going to bamfield nowfor five years now, finally upgraded from my 14 lund 25 etec to a 27' monaro with 225 etec and 15hp kicker. would this boat be able to go out tuna fishing with the fleet? sounds like a real good time and also any good deals on property out there??

Back