2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Hookin'up

2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread and whatever else

Maybe one of the Mods could pin this for us

Here we go guys, lets start filling it up with reports, I hope to post a good one in a day or two myself,
Thanks Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
i know a couple of the guys local to the sunshine coast Gibsons have been getting a few nothing
big though

had no joy as yet due to just getting a boat back in the water...lol

Got this report from Bon Chovy:

The local saltwater salmon fishing has picked up over the last few weeks. There has been good numbers of winter chinook salmon in Vancouver Harbour, Howe Sound, and the Gulf Islands. This past week we have fished all 3 areas with success with some nice fish up to 17 pounds. On average we have been having a crack at 3 to 7 fish per trip , a mix of legal and undersize fish!

In Vancouver Harbour we have found fish along the West Vancouver shoreline and out in the freighter anchorages. Like always in the winter, keeping your gear very close to bottom is very critical for winter chinook success. These winter fish will take a variety of lures. Coyote, gypsy, and silver horde spoons is what we primarily use. Anchovies and herring work just fine, but are really not necessary until the spring time.

Prawning has been fantastic in Howe Sound and crabbing has been very good in Vancouver Harbour!

Was out for 3 hours on Sunday from 10am to 1pm and fished the QB Marker and then took 1 run along the West Vancouver shoreline. It was really bad timing relative to the tides as I hadn't planned on leaving the dock ... was running up the engines at the dock and the water, wind and weather just looked to good to pass up. Shook off 6 undersized around the QB, with the largest being about 50 cm, but had no hits from anything of size. Didn't hear of any keepers being caught while I was out.

We got a couple shakers on Saturday. No keepers. Didn't see many fish being caught. But then again it was hard to see anything through the sheets of rain coming down. Fished the mouth of the cap all the way up to QB, all through different depths. This is my 4th time out this year and I have one keeper to the boat (8 lbs). Am i doing something wrong, or do I just suck? Been fishing winter white hootchies about 28"-36" behind green flashers. Also fishing spoons (recommended styles from Nikka) behind a green flasher w/6'-7' of leader. Or I fish the spoons with no flasher. The only fish we kept was caught on a 4" lyman plug behind a flasher. Any body got any pointers for a saltwater newbie?

using the lyman behind a flasher is a little unusual, but it worked. I would try some Coyote spoons behind the flasher and make sure that your keeping your gear tight to the bottom. I would be using a 60inch leader but thats just me.

My buddy was the one who used the plug behind the flasher. I told him he's crazy. Then he caught a fish. Made me look pretty stupid. I've usually fished them with no flasher.

I'll shorten my leaders up a bit. I've been using Tomic and Coyote spoons in multiple patterns. Mostly the 3"-3.5" size. And a Silver Hoarde double glow, white spoon ( was told it's one of the hot colors ). Trying to stay in the bottom 25% of the water column at all times. Maybe I just need to put in more time. Going out on Friday, so I'll try shorter leaders with the spoons.

Would the rainy, stormy weather had an effect on the fishing? I come from fishing stillwater exclusively, and some of my best days were during some terrible weather. I figured salmon fishing might be the same.

Heard a report on twitter from Sewell's boys of a 'hot bite' at a top secret location in Howe Sound, wonder where this would be? Hopefully get out later this week as boats going back in the water wednesday with new pingpong ball scuppers and a freshly tuned engine..

We went out Sunday for 6 hours in van harbour and only got two shakers by west van. Lots of movement on the sounder but no takers. Both of the little guys bit the silver geen coyote spoons.

I would think you want to keep your balls in the bottom 10 feet of water, but watch your charts.

My buddy was the one who used the plug behind the flasher. I told him he's crazy. Then he caught a fish. Made me look pretty stupid. I've usually fished them with no flasher.

I'll shorten my leaders up a bit. I've been using Tomic and Coyote spoons in multiple patterns. Mostly the 3"-3.5" size. And a Silver Hoarde double glow, white spoon ( was told it's one of the hot colors ). Trying to stay in the bottom 25% of the water column at all times. Maybe I just need to put in more time. Going out on Friday, so I'll try shorter leaders with the spoons.

Would the rainy, stormy weather had an effect on the fishing? I come from fishing stillwater exclusively, and some of my best days were during some terrible weather. I figured salmon fishing might be the same.
For Cap mouth to the pink apt I drop my balls right to the bottom till they hit then lift em up 5 feet or so, usually have on a glo green flasher and a glow green coyote or a cop car on a 5-6' leader with 30-50lb test leader, keep an eye on the rods and riggers you'll be hitting bottom lots pull her up a couple and set them back down when needed, just keep working the gear and you'll hit eventually, I usually try to stay around the 100' mark if I can
good luck , may see you out there
Tim

Drop the gear right to the bottom and then pull up a few feet. I wouldn t get to frustrated, everyone has their slow days this time of year. Find the bait balls and work that area with smaller spoons with a 5 to 7 foot leader. Bad weather will not effect the bite but it could mess with your set up ie if its windy . Work the tide changes if possible and troll with the current. Good luck

Thanks for the tips. Have a feeling I maybe haven't been keeping the gear down deep enough. I've been keeping the balls 15 to 20 feet off the bottom. I'll try an hug it a little closer on Friday.

Yes the bottom is the spot but I find if the bait is hanging up on the colum , I will bring my drag off the bottom and sometimes have found it works out, but like everyone knows the more time you u put in ......the better ! and, once you hit the mark its like you cant miss ...... so enjoy and find the mark !!
Hope to get out and find the mark myself in a week or so (if and when the monsoons end) !

Last edited by a moderator:
had a few hour's out this morning at the back of grace // twin isles

boat is still not running quite right for fishing but got her trolling at a 2kts better than the 4kts last week....lol

i need a bigger drift bucket(s)...!!!!

only one other boat out and no luck there either but i headed back in to gibsons before lunch.

tried green and white hoochie fake achy in teaser head p/o flasher and uv glow green/ white spoons

had a few hour's out this morning at the back of grace // twin isles

boat is still not running quite right for fishing but got her trolling at a 2kts better than the 4kts last week....lol

i need a bigger drift bucket(s)...!!

only one other boat out and no luck there either but i headed back in to gibsons before lunch.

tried green and white hoochie fake achy in teaser head p/o flasher and uv glow green/ white spoons

2knots =2.3mph thats is pretty much ideal right there

2knots =2.3mph thats is pretty much ideal right there

yep but with a big rumbling V8 i am not so sure its ideal

if i can, its put on a kicker or fix either of the two others that are sat in the drive way
and sell the zeta

hence in a catch 22
the zeta's up and running and both others have issues but need to sell the zeta to pay for the fixing of the others aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

or don't fish till work picks up and i get some extra monies coming in ?

Back