2012 TUNA trips

jgaf1.jpg

jgas2.jpg

jgaf3.jpg

21 more albies than anyone else! Nicely done!
Did you see any other boats out there, is the canadian commie fleet up and running?

Just me and another buddy of mines boat have been on it for the last few days. No other boat have been seen fishing tuna..

And to answer some questions:

Fished every day for about 6 hours.
Close and far lines catching = amounts.
Pics are from a point and shoot camera.
The wide angle shots are stills pulled off a Drift HD cam which is a Hero cam but different company. Very versatile camera. I love it! The dive housing for it is cheap and goes down to 100 feet.
Lures? Splaterback glow turd, blue brush zuker are what we narrowed it down to after 4 days.

The shadow on this sun fish is my dog. She is very passionate about marine wild life.
Sunfish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool, can't wait until later in the year, wan to wander out and see if we can find one or two.

A buddy picked up some mackeral off WH last weekend, so there is some warm water starting to show up.

Thanks for the posts

Cheers

SS

Went out to Barkley Canyon yesterday. Temp at 55 degree at 35 mile out, slow increase to 58 at 60 mile. No temp break seen slow increase. Set up was 7 rods with 2 speed reels. 2 reels had 100 ft flouracarbon topshot. Back lure at 60 ft side 50 ft, 1 st outrigger 40 ft, far outrigger 30 ft. Lines down 20 min single hit on flouracarbon 40 ft line mex flag jet lure, landed fish. Second hit on 60 ft line out back on mex flag jet, landed fish. Trolled around 4 hrs more, no hits. Water was 58 degrees all way back to 35 mile out. As we had no multiple hook ups we did not get on a school. My thinking is best if you can find definite temp break. Will post pics and wts, if i can figure out how to post pics. left fish on ice last night and going to clean now.

It was the same for me yesterday. Just one at at time. Could not hook up on the second pass so just kept searching. The day before though we fished on school for a couple hours in the same spot. No temperature breaks either. pretty much the same temp everywhere the farther you go the warmer it was.

Whats a mex flag jet?

tuna July 7,2012

Here are a couple pics, the lure we got them. I had a fiberglass trough made and scoot the tuna right up thru the door. When i bleed them I ice pick them in the brain to paralze them then make a cut on each side on thier lateral line. You want the heart to keep pumping. I then throw them in live well tanl and circulate water till clean. Then on ice in box.

here are rest of pics. The last pic was last fall we came in late with tuna on board left them in fish box with ice overnight and cub bear came on dock and was on the gunnel sniffing around before I chased him off.

Here is the error message I got:

This video contains content from SME and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.

Nice work Birdsnest! Those pics and video sure get the blood pumping, one of these days I will get out there to get in on this fishery, looks like an absolute blast.

Back