2012 TUNA trips

Sculpin

I thought we better get ready and have a place to post up tuna trips from all over the West Coast of BC.

They are already getting them just South of us in Washington and Oregon. I just looked at yesterdays SST and chloro charts on Terrafin and it's looking interesting ;). I know Birdsnest has been chomping at the bit and trying to get out there. I have all my tackle ready to go and stowed on the boat just in case.

I can't wait to get out there again and I hope others have some great adventures to share this year. Remember to play it safe folks.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
IMGP1168.jpg

Somebody connected today.....................

40 miles. No big numbers. Got skunked yesterday. Only saw 2 today with one making it to the ice.

40 miles. No big numbers. Got skunked yesterday. Only saw 2 today with one making it to the ice.

Very cool that you have been going for it. Did you try the new planer boards out? Congrats on the one. That might be the first sports caught tuna this year!.

Cool stuff man.

Cheers,
John

How many hours were you out there with the rods down? Departure and return? Very excited by this report. Good on you for making a go, and finding some success!

the planer board works great. Just set it out there once and bring it to the boat in at the end of the day. No problems. The problem is how to manage the three lines off of it but I am getting a system now and using only hand lines on it. This is way easier that using rods. The nice thing about these is you can just look at your lure to check it for weeds because it is within view beside the boat. Can't wait to see a tuna come up and grab one of those.

So did you have other lines farther back that got bit. What line got the one?

I understand that the planer boards go pretty much straight out the side but they must go back a ways as well. From the videos you posted I can see how you could see your lures from the side of the boat because they are outside of the wake. How far back from the transom do those planers run? How far back are you running your lures off the release clips from there?

Thanks,
John

While the fishing can be so slow there are always interesting moments out there

Still4.jpg

Still3.jpg

12.jpg

Those are some awesome photos dude! Beauty day for sure. Nice seas. Are they those Risso's Dolphin's or other?

Those planer boards look awesome! Are the shots off a GoPro?

I think I recognize the boat now. Is it the Weldcraft that is parked at Method all the time set up for diving? Damn I'm jealous of where you live lol. Great stuff.

Cheers,
John

Those are northwestern pacific right dolphins, identified with ease for being the only dolphin that has no dorsal fin.

No Thats not the boat. IT is a buddies boat which is identical to my boat at method.

Those are northwestern pacific right dolphins, identified with ease for being the only dolphin that has no dorsal fin.

No Thats not the boat. IT is a buddies boat which is identical to my boat at method.

Gotcha. I missed that first time around. I was too busy drooling over the planer board photo lol. I can see now the missing dorsal fin. I will look them up for sure and research them. Thanks. I love all the stuff you see way out there when the warm water comes in. It is very cool.

Cheers,
John

Birdsnest, you're killing me! I had myself convinced to wait until Sept to think of tuna, and now that`s out the window!

We`ll be going out of Winter Harbor later in the year.

If you don`t mind me asking, what was the lure of choice, and color.

A sincere `THANKYOU`for the pictures and info. They are awesome. This is tough stuff to learn when you only get to go a couple of times per year.

Just looked at the terrafin and it looks like its time! Nice job on the early fish, as always i'm super stoked for late august and early september.

Today some tuna were not so lucky.

IMGP1186.jpg

IMGP1190.jpg

Good times indeed.
Filled the box.

I Have seen the questions being asked and will try to answer them when I have more time.
4 days of fishing tuna, day one- skunked, day 2- 1 for 2, day 3- 15for17, day 4- 5 for 5. I'm wiped.
IMGP1188.jpg

Back