2010 Consultant's Invitational Fishing Derby

chris73

For all of our supporters,regular participants and interested people: Please note a change in our Derby season - we decided to host the Consultants Derby in 2010 on SAT, JUNE 26. That will be the weekend after the JDF Derby. Please book this date if your are one of our regulars. If you are interested in participating, donating or helping please contact myself. For more info:

www.consultantsinvitational.ca

Thanks;

Chris

You know that fishing was not great late August this year and next year there won't be pinks here either so end of June should provide better fishing opportunities for all. Also, end of August is always prime vacation and wedding season and we have regular drop outs because of that. We may get better attendance and maybe have more private skippers available to help out in June. May also make it for some participating sponsors more attractive to attend. And finally - I will have a summer to enjoy without worrying about this beast anymore :D Only risk we take could be weather. Hope you can make it again Wolf!

Dear friends, participants and supporters!
I have quite a change to announce: 2 weeks ago our derby committee learnt that Pedder Bay Marina was no longer able to facilitate our event due to construction of a new campground where we used to hold the event. While that was unfortunate news in the heat of the organizing period, we are now happy to announce that the 2010 Consultant's Invitational Fishing Derby will be hosted by the Sooke Harbour Marina/Resort. We are very excited about the new opportunities that this change in venue offers us and we are confident that we will proficiently address all the challenges that a location change not so long before the event entails. Everything else will remain as before or get even better - at least that's the plan! :D

Followup here as I am organizing the venue, the launch is typically inconvenient here at low tide (which it is that morning) - we will have access to Jocks Dock, but any larger boats will be more ideal to be launched from Sunny Shores, Cheanuh, or Pedder. They will work together with Jocks and he recons they will be able to free up about 25 slips for moorage - if I recall correctly, it would be $1/foot overnight if you aren't staying at the resort (ie, so you can launch at higher tide the night before if you want), but if you stay at the resort, it will be 50c/foot. We will be able to have day use for during the event (fah cups [8D])but I expect you will have to reserve - I'll confirm how that will work on Monday.

They have reserved a block of 9 townhomes (sleeps 4-6), and have another 20 or so still available. For 2 nights, you can snag one for $159/night (for 4), or for 1 night, I think its $210. Maybe something to consider assuming our supply of beverage :D

I will also be looking at alternatives for parking - as those in the Classic last year knew, this was a tough location to accommodate all the traffic - we will likely have access across the street again, and I am getting them to look into the adjacent condo's as well. We will have full use of the Jocks parking area. This year may be a tight one, but the following year may be awesome with the new marina/conference center adjacent. We have already been told by Sooke that they would reserve the day if we want it in 2011.

As we may have much more out of town interest this year, to the guides on the forum, can you confirm who is fine with us posting a link up on our website? We would like to just send sponsors there to sort out charters instead of doing the scrambling around for them. Just linking all available will be helpful, and give you guys a little extra exposure as well. Post if that suits.

Skippers as well - any new interests in this event or returning interest, you can send an email to me and I'll forward the info to the committee member in charge of boat assignment. With skippers, your basic costs should be covered at the discretion of your guests, you get a ticket to the event, and are eligible for the prizes. Having roast pig + the regular entree menu catered, c/w the girls, beer, and band. Should be another great event even if it will be a little snug this time around.

Any questions, feel free to post.

Dave

Check out the SHRM website as there are 13 currently listed, and in the last month about 4 or 5 new guides have moved in. Charters range from $70 to $95 per hr. so you can cover all client budgets and quality.

Staying at the SHRM is a great idea, I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and the accomm. is excellent. Especially when you can roll out of bed and onto the boat. It's great value.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Same with me Dave you can link me I think I am having the same crew
let you know like D&D said good marina;););):D:D

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Dave

This year can you please take the rod if you have a big fish on.

I cannot handle hearing the story of how your friend lost the winning fish any more. Special if it happen again this year.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

I,am loving it! LOL. Smells like a side bet eh Dave. Cheers Fc

quote:Originally posted by Doug

Dave

This year can you please take the rod if you have a big fish on.

I cannot handle hearing the story of how your friend lost the winning fish any more. Special if it happen again this year.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

sailing through the air with a smirk on its face as he schooled the rookie running the rod. He hasn't been able to commit this year, so I bought on the guy that got the 2nd place fish last year...our team is solid.

More importantly, Chris, stuck between Ms March, Ms July (leaning here), Ms December to work the raffles with Lindsay....this organizing gig is murder [:p]

looks like a couple of nice prizes coming in here to raffle off during our event (ALL proceeds from these to SSE) - 4 day 3 night all inclusive to Sunds Lodge Malcolm Island, and a 2 night full day halibut charter early season at Mills Landing in Bamfield (not confirmed if that one will be raffled or regular prize yet). DFO isn't going to bum us out here damnit.

ya...thanks to Millsy for throwing in a couple nights accomodation and Osama for agreeing to do the charter. Should bring in a few bucks for a great cause!

PLEASE NOTE! See below the latest news from the Derby Chair. I will keep you posted how this unfolds further...

Dear Derby Participants, Sponsors, Volunteers, Supporters and Friends;

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is currently considering restrictive fisheries management measures affecting commercial as well as recreational fisheries in order to protect declining early time Fraser River Chinook stocks (namely Nicola R. Chinook). The extent and further details of these considered restrictive management measures are still unknown and may be released later in May 2010.

In light of the uncertain level of impact upon the June 2010 recreational fishery in the Juan de Fuca Strait and in an extraordinary proactive move to eliminate our Derby's impact on the troubled early time Fraser Chinook stocks, the Derby Committee has decided to reschedule the 2010 Consultant's Invitational Fishing Derby to a later date when these Chinooks stocks of concern have passed the Juan de Fuca Strait and other less depressed stocks will be the target of the Derby's fishery. This decision to reschedule only six weeks before the original Derby date implies huge inconveniences to our lined up participants and sponsors from all across North America, and our Derby Committee faces immense challenges in re-organizing this popular event at a new date. However, despite all the inconveniences and any financial risks, the Derby Committee feels that due to the Derby's nature and philosophy of supporting salmon enhancement and raising awareness for salmon conservation, this event rescheduling ahead of any finalized DFO decisions is nonetheless the right thing to do. The tentative new date for the Derby is July 17, 2010.

Ticket holders and sponsors can be assured that their tickets and contributions are 100% transferable to the new Derby date or payments can be 100% refunded upon request. More details will be released soon on our website: www.consultantsinvitational.ca or you can contact our Committee Members through email via: http://www.consultantsinvitational.ca/contact-us.html

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Yours truly,

Christoph Moch
Chair, Derby Committee

Back