2008 Trophy 2359 Kicker advise

Mike park

Hi Guy's looking for some advice on which way to go with a swim grid mounted Yamaha T 9.9 .
Boat is new to me and I need to set it up so . Starting with a kicker should I get a tiller or remote, I plan on using a Garmin TR1 at some point . The swim platform is full width so I'll need to fab. a bracket that can be made any height should I go with a 25" leg or 20" any pro's con's I should consider .
Thanks In advance Mike

Most swim grids won’t handle the weight of a kicker. It can be used to support a transom mounted bracket. That 9.9 is approx 100 lbs. I’d get a full remote start, tilt, start and steer motor personally. I don’t know why you’d want a teller on a 23 ft boat. Tie it to your main with the Seastar kicker tie bar. It’s flawless. You can then steer from main helm. If you’re adding tr1 later it’ll all work and of course be even more awesome. Happy to send pics of my Grady setup except it’s in storage for another month.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/

Most swim grids won’t handle the weight of a kicker. It can be used to support a transom mounted bracket. That 9.9 is approx 100 lbs. I’d get a full remote start, tilt, start and steer motor personally. I don’t know why you’d want a teller on a 23 ft boat. Tie it to your main with the Seastar kicker tie bar. It’s flawless. You can then steer from main helm. If you’re adding tr1 later it’ll all work and of course be even more awesome. Happy to send pics of my Grady setup except it’s in storage for another month.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/
Thanks for the reply I've been looking at setups on the above boat finding both tiller and remotes on the swim grid mount. I could see the tiller not being used with the tr1 at all but its there if needed.
Ive seen lots of photos of swim grid mounts so guys are mounting them . If you can walk on them or put a cooler full of ice it should handle 120 lbs
The tie bar and remote does make sense
Whats your thoughts on leg length

Thanks for the reply I've been looking at setups on the above boat finding both tiller and remotes on the swim grid mount. I could see the tiller not being used with the tr1 at all but its there if needed.
Ive seen lots of photos of swim grid mounts so guys are mounting them . If you can walk on them or put a cooler full of ice it should handle 120 lbs
The tie bar and remote does make sense
Whats your thoughts on leg length
My swim grid sits fairly high off the water so I have the extra long shaft. when you'll definitely need it is when you're in chop. The sound of the prop coming out of the water will drive you CRAZY :confused:

I went 25” because I needed that length to get cavitation plate positioned at hull step correctly. I know you can put weight on a swim grid but if you ask the manufacture they will advise against. Just my view as I’m over cautious. I copied Derby’s bracket (thanks btw) 6 years ago and it’s still performing flawlessly. His pic will be same as mine.

I went 25” because I needed that length to get cavitation plate positioned at hull step correctly. I know you can put weight on a swim grid but if you ask the manufacture they will advise against. Just my view as I’m over cautious. I copied Derby’s bracket (thanks btw) 6 years ago and it’s still performing flawlessly. His pic will be same as mine.

Thanks my thoughts originally were using a 25 as the braket could be any height with in reason.
But wondered about tilt angle and keeping the prop from dragging if its an issue with the 25

The seastar looks like an outboard setup I have an inboard with a bravo 3 drive so a different setup with the boat Im getting.
Its listed to have rack and pinion steering so I assume cable assisted power steering while running the main.
Not sure how a tie bar would work without power steering anyone have feedback on that.

Thanks my thoughts originally were using a 25 as the braket could be any height with in reason.
But wondered about tilt angle and keeping the prop from dragging if its an issue with the 25
Get power trim and an alternator. I've had to use it to charge my batteries before.

I have a 07 2359 with kicker on the swim grid. I would recommend going with a Merc 15 if you haven’t already bought the 9.9. Definitely go with the extra long leg with power everything if possible. I had a bracket made up that tied into the transom and put an extra support under the swim grid, as I also put my 150qt cooler on the grid

For sure thats a must just trying to plan out how to steer the thing while fishing
If I did it all over again I would go with a 15 as well. The 9.9 works but in heavy winds I wouldn't want to rely on it to keep me off the rocks. Also having more thrust allows you to run it at a lower RPM which is great for your ears. I have the tiller so when I'm fishing by myself I can just move it back and forth on my own and it's not too bad. You can also use the leg as a rudder and get a decent amount of steer if you are not fighting wind or current. For the most part if I get into heavy chop I just switch over to the main unless I'm fishing with the wind on a long tac.

Derby, I see you have those ping pong ball scuppers on your boat. Do they work? Zero water on deck??

The seastar looks like an outboard setup I have an inboard with a bravo 3 drive so a different setup with the boat Im getting.
Its listed to have rack and pinion steering so I assume cable assisted power steering while running the main.
Not sure how a tie bar would work without power steering anyone have feedback on that.
I have wondered about that also. A cable system is not easy to steer with out the power steering. Also a lot of extra strain on the cable. I have a 2352 with a 9.9 and I just till it by hand when I use it. If too rough or windy I just use the main.

Thanks for the reply I haven't bought a kicker yet but thought the 9.9 was the way to go .But appreciate the feed back you guys have offered, is the 15 a high thrust gear case as well.
I will likely need to change the scuppers to the ball style, and seal the fish boxes as well so I'll get my boat in May and will be going through the list of stuff to check and improve on.
Really like the green looks sharp. Mine will be the plain White 2359 5.0 FWC bravo 3

Last edited:
Nice motors! @Derby I would go with a swim grid mounting bracket, most swim grids are meant to hold 2-3 people so a 100 lb kicker is no problem. I would go with a remote model and set up a electro steer type steering system.
IMG_0265.jpg

work great..... u having a water problem with your flapped ones?
Thanks for the reply I haven't bought a kicker yet but thought the 9.9 was the way to go .But appreciate the feed back you guys have offered, is the 15 a high thrust gear case as well.
I will likely need to change the scuppers to the ball style, and seal the fish boxes as well so I'll get my boat in May and will be going through the list of stuff to check and improve on.
Really like the green looks sharp. Mine will be the plain White 2359 5.0 FWC bravo 3

the Suzuki 20hp is only 9 lbs heavier then a yam 9.9 :)..

Back