2004 150 Honda issues?

Fish Nutz

My buddy is looking to buy a new with no hours 04 150 hp honda. Just wondering since it's now a 6 or 7 year old motor if anybody has any imput good or bad on the motor. Thanks

Fish Nutz

People really love thier hondas, but theres 2 drawbacks to them.
1. Not so serious = they are heavier than similar motors of other brands in most cases.
2. serious = hey have INTERNAL zincs in their blocks most people dont know about or get changed regularly, even dealers often miss them. If these arnt changed out say goodbye to your motor in 2-4 years. So basically, if you half a$$ your maintenance youll get major corrosion problems.

With any motor, its not very good to let it sit. make sure all the seals are still good and not dried out or failed, and everything else like that is checked out by a mechanic.

I've got a 1999 sold new in 2001 Honda that probably has about 1500hrs on it.
Still running strong.
With zero hours, i doubt he could go too far wrong.
I'm not aware of any inherent problems with the 2004 - 150hp model.

My only concern would be if I wasn't sure if this was a long term acquisition...is the resale value once it leaves the dealer. It will no longer be a new old stock engine but a low hours used 7 year old motor. All new engines drop in value once bought but this engine will go from new to seven years old once it leaves the parking lot.

run the serial numbers with a honda dealer, they will let him/you know what recalls their are and any serious other problems with that year,, i found out my thermostat housings were a recall and got them for free... not the labour tho.

My boat that I purchased this year was used in 2004 for 36hrs 225 Mercury Saltwater and a 15 hp Honda kicker. They changed the thermostat, and I changed the fluids, so far this year I have put over 200hrs on it, touch wood I have had no problems.

Back