2002 Bayliner Trophy Pro 2002

leftcoast

Anyone own one of these or been out on one? I'm looking at one in Seattle. I wasn't interested at first because I felt it was underpowered it has a 135hp Merecury optimax. I like the boat so I asked the guy for some performance numbers he sent me some and I have a hard time believing him. He says he cruises around 30mph at 4000rpm and WOT is around 40mph. I would think this boat would need a 150hp at the least would be nice with a 250hp. I'm not looking for a speed boat but I want a boat that can take me and a buddy with a cooler of beer out fishing with no worries.

Some thoughs before I make a trip down and find out it's underpowered?

Length of boat?

A good friend of mine has that model , he enjoys it , Ive fishhed on it with him , comfy ride , assuming it;s the 21 model ? , he has a 4.3 v6 Mercruiser , she gets around pretty good , is the 135 hp Merc not 6 cyl OB ? if so , there is barely any difference between that and a 150 , i think a 250 would sink that boat lol, the older models were rated at 175 hp max , not sure if that has changed , a friend of mine threw on a older 200hp inj. Merc on the back of his , it flew !! a little much perhaps ,

You would be surprised with the 135 , should be ok if ur not a speed freak.. ( again assuming its a " 6" )

m2b

fd

I fish of that exact boat quite a bit. It has a 125 on it and is definitely underpowered you can get it to 30 with playing with trim. It is at the point where a 135 might help a bit. A 150/175 would be best. The max hp for that model/year is 175hp. Much better ride than the grey bottom trophies too.

Performance

Our test boat had the optional 135-hp Mercury Optimax outboard. The boat is rated up to 175-hp if you so desire and comes standard with 125-hp setup. I found that the 135-hp was plenty of power for fishing inland bays and sounds. If I was going to head offshore at all and into deeper waters I would probably go with the 175-hp, but for most applications the 125-hp and 135-hp should work great. Out on the water we got the 2002WA up and on a plane in just 3.8 seconds and she was impressive reaching 0-30 mph in 9.8 seconds. This is also due to the construction methods employed by Trophy resulting in a total weight around 3,400 lbs. Her best cruise speed was at 4,000 rpms, which resulted in a speed of 30.8 mph and a cruising range of 272 miles. Top speed with the 135-hp was 39.1 mph at 5,000 rpms.

So if you’re looking for a great fishing boat that take you and your buddies out for a day of fishing on Saturday and then picnic on Sunday with the kids, take a look at Trophy’s top selling 2002WA.

Trophy 2002 WA Test Result Highlights
Top speed for the Trophy 2002 WA is 39.1 mph (62.9 kph), burning 12.7 gallons per hour (gph) or 48.07 liters per hour (lph).

Best cruise for the Trophy 2002 WA is 30.8 mph (49.6 kph), and the boat gets 3.56 miles per gallon (mpg) or 1.51 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 272 miles (437.74 kilometers).

Thanks for information guys. Looks like it could do the trick. It seems like a lot of the boats south of the boarder are underpowered or close to it.

I had that exact boat a couple years back 2002 trophy 2002 pro. It was really nice in a chop they all come with trim tabs which is nice. My boat had they 135 optimax and the motor had a lot of jam I had a 21 p prop which was to much pitch for the boat so it would be slow out of the hole but wide open on the gps was 38 mph. I did get it up on plane with 6 people and a big dog but it had to work a little. With a 19 p prop that boat would have been a lot better out of the hole. The 135 optimax was pretty light and had a lot of power if it's a 135 four stroke it might not work as well. I had a kicker on it and mounting the bracket was a light tricky. Pros, nice ride,Hugh fuel tank lots of room on the dance floor, a really large cuddly for that size boat. Cons wipers on the curved glass suck, the fish well pumps are a pain in the butt and in a tough spot to work on, the fish well will fill with rain and other **** this can be fixed with a gasket, it was a little tight in the cockpit but the trade off is nice big walk around alleys, the steering cables are not the best hydronic steering was nice when I put it on, factory soft top was really tough to put on and impossible when it was cold out. The boat over all was great, good price, safe and I would load and unload the boat by myself.

isn't the 135 block the same as as the 175? pretty sure these can be tuned or re-flashed to up the hp..

Back