2000 yam 9.9 charging issue

23Hourston

Well google failed me on this one.
My 9.9 with multi meter on the motor cables is putting out 12.30 volts. Half throttle
I assume it should be higher.
I am not familiar with rectifiers or if it even has one.
How do I truble shoot the charging system
Cheers

My 2006 9.9 (15hp model) stopped charging last summer and I found that one of the wire connectors had come loose. It looked like it was connected but just the outer protective ends were mated, not the metal ends. On my 9.9 it was a wire up front on the left side as you look at the motor from the front. Check all your connectors first. If the rectifier is gone it will be an easy fix, should be a couple of bolts and a plug in wire harness.

I believe if your yamaha has a pull start, there is no rectifier unless one was added after market. Did it stop charging, or are you unsure if it ever was charging?

any stater charging system has a rectifier if it has battery cables that charges the battery ( as mentioned in the original post ). its job is the same as the diodes in a alternator convert ac to dc voltage

Easiest way to confirm its charging is to do what you did with a multi meter...hook it up without kicker running and then with it running. The voltage should increase...if it does it could just be the battery is on its way out and why the voltage is low.

check out this link, the only difference is you have 2 green or yellow wires from the lighting coil (instead of three in the video), ground is through the case and positive is the red wire

Back