2000 Trophy Engine Question

scotty

So I took my boat in to get the fuel pump replaced in my 2000 2052 Trophy and of coarse it had to be pulled in order to replace. Upon removing now we have realized that it might be a good time to do the starter, possibly alternator, one manifold has a slight crack on outside but I swore no water was leaking, so it looks like it needs a new exhaust, manifolds and risers. Boat came out of the states 4yrs ago and it had a rebuilt 4.3L short block engine installed just before I bought it. I'm guessing everything original was then put back on.
So now my question is I have an option to install a 5.0L Merc, rebuilt 3yrs ago newer manifolds etc. Needs a alternator, maybe a starter, though. Boat had I think 40 hrs on it and it then sat till now. It also need a cooling system put on.
Has anyone ever installed a 5.0 L in a trophy? I don't think I have ever seen one.
They both have the same gear ratio but I don't know if it will work.
Also any advise on where to get manifolds/risers. Type?
Where to get a closed cooling system?
Appreciate your feedback!

So I took my boat in to get the fuel pump replaced in my 2000 2052 Trophy and of coarse it had to be pulled in order to replace. Upon removing now we have realized that it might be a good time to do the starter, possibly alternator, one manifold has a slight crack on outside but I swore no water was leaking, so it looks like it needs a new exhaust, manifolds and risers. Boat came out of the states 4yrs ago and it had a rebuilt 4.3L short block engine installed just before I bought it. I'm guessing everything original was then put back on.
So now my question is I have an option to install a 5.0L Merc, rebuilt 3yrs ago newer manifolds etc. Needs a alternator, maybe a starter, though. Boat had I think 40 hrs on it and it then sat till now. It also need a cooling system put on.
Has anyone ever installed a 5.0 L in a trophy? I don't think I have ever seen one.
They both have the same gear ratio but I don't know if it will work.
Also any advise on where to get manifolds/risers. Type?
Where to get a closed cooling system?
Appreciate your feedback!
Sorry I forgot the 4.3L is fuel injected and the 5.0L is carbureted.

put your money into atleast a tbi..

the motor upgrade sounds like a good idea, with a efi of some sort.. the higher horse and torque would most likely be more fuel efficient also than the 4.3

Just a warning, upgrading to more hp may end up being too much for the old Stern drive. My buddy warned me about that when I wanted to upgrade from a 305 to a 350. I didn't think it would be an issue. I really thought the boat could use a little more power. No sooner was the boat back in the water with the fresh 350 than the Stern drive blew. Just a word to the wise, as I had to learn the hard way. It could end up costing way more than you figured if that happens. You will be stressing the old components with more horsepower.

Try marinemanifold.com for your parts, they are a local online wholesaler
I have used them before with no issues

I would stay with the 4.3 especially if it is an mpi engine. You won't gain much by going to a 5.0 and remember the drive ratio on your v6 is 1.92 if I remember right and the merc 5.0 is 1.50

id take an mpi engine over a carb every day of the week!!!!

do a compression check on your 4.3, and if its good spend the money on the accessories to make it run well again

Well the 5.0L is out of the question. Took the boat to maple marine in Langley and it seems there not really keen on doing the job this time of year. There recommendation was to repower with a remanufactured merc. for $8900. That's not going to happen! After pulling the engine out, The manifolds look pretty rough, seems there off shore manifolds. They suggested we start by getting the old ones off before I decide how to proceed. They are warning me that the heads might have water damage/ rust but I guess we don't know until they come off. Engine was installed in 2012, I would have never thought they would be in such rough shape this quick. Can anyone suggest another alternate route if maple marine doesn't work out.

Back