2 stroke oil.

S

saltybeaver

I bought some 2stroke oil from the merc dealer and it was 40-50 bucks for a 4liter .
I guess your suposed to use a certain type .
What do you guys use ?

The mercury optimax oil is supposed to have some proprietary additives that are good for their engines hence the significant sticker price. The dealers also like to hint that there will be warrenty issues if you don't use the Optimax oil.

I choose to beleive that all engines are built with the same steel and that oils that pass the requisite testing for the specific viscosities are going to get the job done. I have been using the Walmart 2 stroke oil for the last five years(it's A LOT less expensive and I use cases of the stuff). Our current 2-stoke outboard is going into it's 3rd year and just topped 1,000 hours with no problems. I sold the previous carburated outboard due to cold-starting problems in the winter not due to oil-related wear issues - the fuel injected 2 solved the cold start issues. If you can show you have been using a 2-stroke engine oil meeting the owners manual specs you are not going to loose a court case on warranty work. Whichever 2 stroke oil you use it's a good idea to keep using the same brand consistently.

I waiting for a flaming from the brand loyal guys.... I'm not saying that the additives are not a good thing, just saying that I don't beleive they justify the price delta and that you can run your outboard for a very LONG time without them. We run our our boats more in a year than lot's of folks do in the lifetime of their outboard...

The mercury optimax oil is supposed to have some proprietary additives that are good for their engines hence the significant sticker price. The dealers also like to hint that there will be warrenty issues if you don't use the Optimax oil.

I choose to beleive that all engines are built with the same steel and that oils that pass the requisite testing for the specific viscosities are going to get the job done. I have been using the Walmart 2 stroke oil for the last five years(it's A LOT less expensive and I use cases of the stuff). Our current 2-stoke outboard is going into it's 3rd year and just topped 1,000 hours with no problems. I sold the previous carburated outboard due to cold-starting problems in the winter not due to oil-related wear issues - the fuel injected 2 solved the cold start issues. If you can show you have been using a 2-stroke engine oil meeting the owners manual specs you are not going to loose a court case on warranty work. Whichever 2 stroke oil you use it's a good idea to keep using the same brand consistently.

I waiting for a flaming from the brand loyal guys.... I'm not saying that the additives are not a good thing, just saying that I don't beleive they justify the price delta and that you can run your outboard for a very LONG time without them. We run our our boats more in a year than lot's of folks do in the lifetime of their outboard...

Must be the "Quicksilver" name that you're paying for...
I always used crappy tire , or walmart 2 stroke oil in my outboards
at a little more than 1/2 the cost of the premium brands.
I not sure sure on this, and maybe the others can confirm
but i don't think Mercury can do anything about warrantee issues
over the ownner not using the recommended brand.

Must be the "Quicksilver" name that you're paying for...
I always used crappy tire , or walmart 2 stroke oil in my outboards
at a little more than 1/2 the cost of the premium brands.
I not sure sure on this, and maybe the others can confirm
but i don't think Mercury can do anything about warrantee issues
over the ownner not using the recommended brand.

I run Mercs and try and plan ahead to buy oil from Canadian Tire or West marine depending on price. If I forget I buy the stuff from Chevron at the fuel barge. Canadian Tire sells all the brand names at way cheaper prices. Another example is Mobil 1 for my car $11 at Esso and $6.50 at Canadian Tire.

I run Mercs and try and plan ahead to buy oil from Canadian Tire or West marine depending on price. If I forget I buy the stuff from Chevron at the fuel barge. Canadian Tire sells all the brand names at way cheaper prices. Another example is Mobil 1 for my car $11 at Esso and $6.50 at Canadian Tire.

I think I read somewhere that oil injected engines need a different oil then fuel/oil mix engines. TCW3 and TCW2 respectively - but I couldn't find the link that had the info I was looking for, so don't quote me.

I think I read somewhere that oil injected engines need a different oil then fuel/oil mix engines. TCW3 and TCW2 respectively - but I couldn't find the link that had the info I was looking for, so don't quote me.

I have a ll5hp and 6 hp mercury 2 stroke and use Quicksilver as the previous owner of the boat told me if he burned anything else the smell made his wife sick. I don't have a wife but just kept using it. Someone told me on the weekend that the "M" in marine stood for more money.

I have a ll5hp and 6 hp mercury 2 stroke and use Quicksilver as the previous owner of the boat told me if he burned anything else the smell made his wife sick. I don't have a wife but just kept using it. Someone told me on the weekend that the "M" in marine stood for more money.

Definitely, once you have found the oil you are going to use, either Canadian tire brand or Quicksilver stick to the same oil after that, this goes for motor oils aslo.

Esora

Definitely, once you have found the oil you are going to use, either Canadian tire brand or Quicksilver stick to the same oil after that, this goes for motor oils aslo.

Esora

From what I have bben told and from what I know you are supposed to use TCW3 on the newer motors for the amount we use why not get the good stuff you have a investment in the THOUSANDS why skimp on oil???
I personally use Sierra premium 2 stroke oil TCW3 it comes in a almost 10 litre jug as it is cheaper by the more you buy anybody who sells Sierra products can get it in for you

My friend who is a merc mech. told me to use it as it is the same stuff as quicksilver but way less money

Wolf

Back