2 stoke oil recommendations?

Tips Up

I know there was a thread about this last year but I was unable to find it with search.

Looking for recommendations on 2 stroke oil for mid 90's Yamaha 90 horse 2 stroke with oil injection.
I have been using the bulk oil from SG Power which is said to be very good and I have had no issues. Just wondering if I can find something less expensive that would work as well and maybe not as far out of my way. It is about $30.00 for 4 ltr jug.

Thanks!
Tips

The cheapest oil you can find that has the TCW3 and NMMA2 certifications. I've always used the Canadian Tire stuff in the black jug. 5L for 24 bucks. Ran it for years and years and it works as well as any other TCW3 conventional oil.

Just called the Victoria Store and it is in stock. They match the sale price of $10.00 off shown on website but off the Canadian price of $31.99.
Still sounds like good deal so I'll try it.
Do you get the $19.99 sale price in Comox?

I buy at the Nanaimo store... And I need 8 jugs if you know anyone headed to the Comox Valley.

Nanaimo store puts it on sale twice a year for under $20

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry can't help you with the delivery to Comox. It's fishing season not hunting season.
Happy to help you in the fall. LOL

I use pennziol semi synthetic cant find it around comox valley I guess i should change would i have to flush first?

As I recall from when I ran twostrokes:-

Yes, it had to meet TCW3 specs and whatnot..........but there were also "smokeless" formulations around as well as "ordinary".....

I tried to always go with "smokeless'....it seemed to be better than "ordinary".

However , how they achieve this formulation or whether it IS actually any better or not I'm not sure.

The "smokeless" was always a bit pricier if I remember.

My twostrokes weren't technically smoke-belchers....although at certain times they would do it.....

Picked some West Marine up today at $10.00 off so $21.99. That is matching their website.
Was told it does go on in the Canadian Flyer for $19.99
Was also told it goes on sale in the flyer in a 5 gallon jug for closer to 1/2 price. Better deal.
Note though it is a US gallon so 3.82 ltr.
I'll give it a try and keep an eye out for the 5 gallon sale.

Thanks for the tips.

Tips

Neither of the West Marine stores in the Vancouver area has any stock of the 1 gallon size and it doesn't sound like they normally stock it. They will order it in for you, about a 1 week delivery.

Neither of the West Marine stores in the Vancouver area has any stock of the 1 gallon size and it doesn't sound like they normally stock it. They will order it in for you, about a 1 week delivery.

I'm telling ya, Canadian Tire motomaster brand in the black jugs. 5 Litres for 24$. It's just as good as the west marine stuff and that is the regular price.

Thanks trendsetter. Will check that out next time at cantire.
I know they are all safe if rating is right but some are cleaner burning than others. The stuff I was using from sg power seemed to smoke and smell less than the stuff I used to buy elsewhere.
Maybe try can tires next time around.

i started of using westmarine brand with tc-w3 rating as the previous owner of my boat stated is was really good mix oil and all he ever used, i went through a 4 liter jug and when it was empty i was nowhere near west marine, so i bought co-op brand 2 stroke mix oil with a tc-w3 rating , i noticed when mixing my fuel it did not seem to be near as thick as the westmarine brand mix oil,two fishing trips later and my outboard threw the rings on the middle cylinder, do you think the cheaper brand inferior oil could have been to partially to blame for the untimely demise of my outboard? i mixed it the same 200 mils for every 10 liters.. or does the 2 stroke mix oil break down over time??

i started of using westmarine brand with tc-w3 rating as the previous owner of my boat stated is was really good mix oil and all he ever used, i went through a 4 liter jug and when it was empty i was nowhere near west marine, so i bought co-op brand 2 stroke mix oil with a tc-w3 rating , i noticed when mixing my fuel it did not seem to be near as thick as the westmarine brand mix oil,two fishing trips later and my outboard threw the rings on the middle cylinder, do you think the cheaper brand inferior oil could have been to partially to blame for the untimely demise of my outboard? i mixed it the same 200 mils for every 10 liters.. or does the 2 stroke mix oil break down over time??

No if the oil has the TCW3 rating and is NMMA2 certified it is suitable for use in all motors calling for TCW3 oil. Most of the TCW3 oils are just rebranded containers of the same oil. Cdn tire and West Marine don't own oil refineries. They buy it in bulk with their brand sticker on it and price accordingly.

I've burned hundreds of gallons of 2-stroke oil over the years and honestly never noticed a difference in the mainstream brands. Some of the semi-synthics and low smoke formulas do seem to have less smoke but not a huge difference.

I have a US gallon of Cabela's brand semi synthetic tcw 3. Bought it because I read reports that it is high quality and reduces smoke, but then I switched to 4 stroke.
Will trade for a six pack, or whatever, if someone here wants it:)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

fair enough, just trying to rule everything out, just seemed kinda funny that the difference in the thickness of the oil seemed to be apparent, i know it is the same thing when you buy auto parts, lots of places just buy name brand stuff and re-brand it for there own ei, oilfilters and brakepads n such. thanks for the offer Enniberg but without fire in the holes there will be no need for mix oil.. , tried EVERYWHERE to find a 70/75 horse johnson/evinrude powerhead. what i am left with is a fancy lawn ornament with lots of nice fishing attachments..

I think it was Profisher who had some input to this last year...

What are you running Rollie? You put alot of hours on the 2 stroke.

Thanks
Tips

Back