2 new fish farms

cuttlefish

A forwarded email;

Zoning Hearing in Sayward on Tues April 14th
Speakers and Written Submissions Needed

You are receiving this email because you have been involved in our Salmon Aquaculture Campaign in the past, and we urgently need your help again.

Grieg Seafoods has applied for aquaculture zoning for two new fish farms near Yorke Island in Sunderland Channel, just north of Sayward. If these farms are approved, they will be among the biggest farms on the BC coast at 4400MT each. In addition to impacts on pink and chum salmon, recent evidence suggests that Fraser River sockeye may be impacted by sea lice from fish farms in the Discovery Islands area of northern Georgia Strait...adding two new massive fish farms is a step in the wrong direction.

We are hoping you will attend the hearing to voice your concerns. Please RSVP, or email me if you would like more information for your speech. We can also arrange carpooling, if you need a ride.

Strathcona Regional District
Public Hearing
Tuesday April 14th, 7pm
Sayward Heritage Community Hall
1257 Sayward Road

If you cannot make the hearing, send your written submissions as soon as possible to:

Strathcona Regional District
301-990 Cedar Street
Campbell River, BC V9W 7Z8
planning@strathconard.ca

Consider sending this to a friend. I hope to see you on Tuesday.

For more information on these two farm sites go to;
http://www.arfd.bc.ca/ApplicationPo...o&FileNumber=&PrimaryStatus=any&Submit=Submit

If you are in the area and so inclined.

Email sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

As Founder/President of the Wild Salmon Alliance based here in Victoria, I recently received news of a Grieg Seafood proposal to expand the scope of its environmentally degrading operations with the establishment of 2 new operations in the Sayward district.

Please be advised that the WSA is actively campaigning for the complete abolishment of open net-pen salmon farms in British Columbia waters. The end of this environmental-holocaust is on the horizon; with the recent Court decision victory (Morton vs. Government), jurisdiction of the industry is currently in the air, henceforth, it would be imprudent - if not illegal - for any Municipal/Regional governing body to encourage the investment of resources to expand any existing operations by approving any operation permits.

The open net-pen business is under fire as it has never been before. Opposition grows daily as more and more British Columbian's become savvy to the monstrous pollution, escaping fish, and unprecedented disease/parasite transfer issues that come part & parcel with this filthy Norwegian owned industry.

In my eye: Any sagacious politician with an eye on escalation of a career in BC politics, would promptly distance themselves from this environmental time-bomb set to blast many a career out-of-the-water.

Respectfully,

Terry Anderson

Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society

Back