1977 Searay 240 rebuild

Going to be a solid boat when you're done. Props! That is a lot of work, and hours (you can buy a lot of things but you can't buy all that time back haha!). Actually would like to do that myself one day though, the customization options are endless. And you really improve the hull by sealing everything, putting in conduit, drains, making it more rigid, fiberglass epoxy vs standard resin, etc...

The nice part is you can have such a nice hull with just being meticulous and putting the few hundred hours of labour in and your pride! Makes a wicked rig accessible to the average guy. That's what it's all about!

Fuel tank compartment is glassed and the drains are in the fish well. 1.5" is for the macerator, little guy is for a removable plug so when I store it it will drain and not fill with 400lbs of water. I added the same to my cuddy sump for the same reason.IMG_20170503_150948533.jpg IMG_20170503_150951559.jpg

Looks great! I have to get back to mine. Every time I get to an itchy part I stall so yesterday I picked up a Porter Cable oscillating tool at Lowes for $80, should have done it sooner!

Looks great! I have to get back to mine. Every time I get to an itchy part I stall so yesterday I picked up a Porter Cable oscillating tool at Lowes for $80, should have done it sooner!
That is what happened to me also, once the shitting demoing was over it was a lot better. Hated it when you'd grind and cut everything out and it's taken you for ever and someone comes over and says it looks the same as it did last time. Lol.

The secret is that I sold my other boat so I can't go fishing till this project is done and my dad bought himself, my oldest boy and myself $450 worth of salt water series derby tickets for our birthdays. So I have 16 days to get it functionally seaworthy and fishable if not 100%0 finished, who needs a headliner and stereo if there is fish on.

Some fillets in the cuddy, fuel tank is ready for the final install, all the pod bolts are back in and the raw water through hull is reinstalled. I need to find/make a tool that fits them, everything is to big, to small or the tack hammer I have been using.

Last edited:
I cut a piece of aluminum to fit thru-hull on my last boat and held it with a crescent,worked fine.

Makes sense, I have some 3/16" left from the tank..................that got installed this morning. I foamed under the floor in the head (I know but it is such a small space) and tabbbed in the toilet shelf. Tomorrow morning I am going to fit the aft 4 ft of deck and while the epoxy underside cures I will Install some foam and Gel-coat the fish well and fender locker. Which means by late afternoon I will be stirring a pot of white goo while my dad runs sheets of foam through the table saw. Tuesday Am I should be cursing the sheet of deck into place. Rinse repeat.

So turns out while you can get the deck out of three sheets you can't actually do the deck in three pieces. Well you could but they can't get past the rod pockets and I am not cutting one off. Epoxy is curing and I will be installing the first 4 feet tomorrow. IMG_20170508_184910306.jpg IMG_20170508_202651292.jpg

Fitting some plywood and being able to walk around was very rewarding. I am happy there is no rocking and it lays flat. Glueing and screwing it down is going to be even more rewarding. No more damn hurdles walking to the cuddy.

So the first 4 feet of deck is epoxied on the underside and edges and glued and screwed into the boat. Next 4 feet got the second coat of epoxy and is curing in the garage for installation tomorrow morning. I managed to wipe most of the threads off one of my fuel pickups which was odd. Thankfully I was able to clean up the threads on the tank and found a replacement pickup here in Sooke. So it only cost me an hour and $17 in parts. Pretty sure my fishwell hatch is going to be a chunk of raw 3/4" ply for the first few trips, getto, but getting out there.

I got most of my pod done today! Little bit more tomorrow and then sand off the gel coat on the back and seal up all the holes with some mat and mount up. Nice day but sat inside the tarped hulk sucking back a beer thinking what to do. I like open concept, I might keep the glass door I don't know... you have a separate head, I like.. don't want it in the cuddly. Kinda rather not have one if it needs to be there. Looked at the engine compartment, tons of room for fish. Buddy coming over to help Friday, I'll get him to strip out the front of the boat while I work on the back.
I bet you spent a little time complimenting yourself on your accomplishments perhaps with a beverage!

With the wife and kids having a seperate head makes life so much easier. No "every body out". Myself I don't like Alaskan bulkheads, I always found myself bouncing off the door frames on the way to the rods.

Back