1977 Searay 240 rebuild

Fiberglass yes, boat project this big Nope, Never. Composite repairs was a very brief component in school and I am lucky to be able to pick the brains of some very experienced people. I will say that I would rather grind the inside weld of a 10' long 18" stainless exhaust pipe than 10' of fiberglass chine. I am so itchy I could scream.

It's a tough job no doubt but I'm sure you'll be happy with the boat when it is all done.

Fiberglass yes, boat project this big Nope, Never. Composite repairs was a very brief component in school and I am lucky to be able to pick the brains of some very experienced people. I will say that I would rather grind the inside weld of a 10' long 18" stainless exhaust pipe than 10' of fiberglass chine. I am so itchy I could scream.
when i did my wellcraft last year, i learnt real fast how useful the trow away painters coveralls were and a roll of 2" masking tape to seal the gloves to the coveralls, after that not too bad

I did too, this was the standard gear. Alberni Fisher taught me the fashion lol. The hoods on the throw away coveralls are nice to have.

Attachments

• IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 82
Best advice came from a painter, tuck tape your gloves to your sleeves, I tried masking tape, electrical and duck tape, but Tuck actually worked.

Side chine strips are in and the first stringer gets to cure in place till Monday as tomorrow is a range day. Having the chine strips to hang the stringers off seems to work like a charm. Also I pulled 3 of the pod bolts to flip them around and dry dry dry, thank god the transom is dry.

IMG_20170403_143642511.jpg
Stringer #2 is now PL-ed in place and needs a couple days to cure. Hanging it went so much easier than the first. I also made the bulk heads that will separate the space between the main stringers into sump, fishwell and fuel tank.

Last edited:
Yup one layer of ply, covered in multiple layers of mat and roving which according to SeaRay is how they built them. It is much like what I am replacing but the new stringers are much longer and will include enough glass for it to be structural instead of enough glass to be little more than annoying.
I am still shooting for mid May.

Put the bulkheads between the main stringers, removed the last of the old wood and had the last of the big grinds. Vacuumed up most of the mess this morning and figured I would blow down the rest of the dust with compressed air and vacuum it up (rinse repeat). An hour later and I am getting nowhere, it almost seems to be getting worse, ha ha there is a huge rip in the vac bag. I am cleaning dust with a leaf blower. IMG_20170406_144527571.jpg IMG_20170407_162850692.jpgNow to fit the intermediate stringers and the stbd stringer to the front and glass glass glass.

IMG_20170410_081155467.jpg Got my intermediate stringers fitted and the rain came. All I took is a picture of 165lbs of lead on some epoxied scarf joints on their way to being 9" 6" long stringers. Tomorrow they should be glassed in. I screwed up the first stringer blank for the cuddy as I based its 12" height off what I removed not taking into account all the wet lightweight body filler I ground out. So next one will be 13.5" high to get my heights right and not require me to stack filler.

Last edited:
Getting close to having a sole in there Will,should make everything easier from then on.Make sure you've sealed everything with gelcoat or epoxy before you button up the plywood sole.

Today felt productive. All the stringers are fitted with the PL bedding curing and proof that I ordered the right hatches months ago.IMG_20170411_144124763.jpg IMG_20170411_155509901.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking really good GL Must be really nice to see the progress that's coming all of a sudden. When all the prep work is done right, the construction part goes seemless and quite fast compared to the tear out and cleanup.

Where did you get the hatches?

Oly

The hatches were $80 off Amazon.ca.
2/3 the price of white ones, which is good because I planned on going grey again to match the bench seat I bought for 1/3 the price of the other colours they listed.

Rayvon was 100% correct about getting the center stringers right (square and level) so I could run everything else off them.

Back