18.5ft

Lifter

I started a project this spring
to rebuild a 18.5 ft D Eagle hard top
was an inboard now going to be an outboard
just wondering about HP

Not too sure what the trandsom is rated for? Or how that figures when you put a pod on? I would think a 125-150 should be plenty for that boat? We used to have a 17ft D/E that would do 33mph with a 90. I would expect a 150 to push you along close to or just over 40MPH.

Take only what you need.

Just curious, how are you installing the pod? Do you have to rebuild the transom or do you just plywood/glass over the hole from the old leg? Where did you get the pod -- built yourself or did you buy or get it made somewhere?

I have 2004 18.5 ft Double Eagle and have a 150 hp on it and it tops out at 50 mph. Yours is probably heavier with the hard top. I would think a 115 or a 150 would be fine. Put trim tabs on it to get it up on a plane quick and give you the ability to keep the planing speed down for griding out in the lumpy stuff.

I've got an 18.5' double eagle. I think it is a 1975 vintage. Hard top was removed before I bought it. The power in it is the 302(5Litre) Ford/270 Volvo Penta leg. The motor has a 2 barrel carb which is supposed to have about 190 horsepower.It's good power for the boat. I wouldn't want any less. I would suggest you might want between 150 and 200 horsepower.

haven't desided weather to use a fiberglass pod or an aluminum bracket. The transom will be glasses over and beefed up
with verticle 2x8'2 also glassed in

I have a 20' Sansgter Cuddy that I would love to pod. Too bad it is in such good shape it is not a smart idea. If I did i would look at a 140 Suzuki. Or, 2 smaller motors (90s maybe).
I wrote down the formula for a pod conversion, concerning engine placement et al. If ya need it lmk.
I'd like to see your project. I know epoxy and glass. I know a guy that has done your job, might be looking for work. pk.

Don't get crazy glassing in vertical 2x8's, three pieces of 5/8" plywood is all you need at the most. My pod is just wider, bolted right over the old I/O holes in my rig, and I have 2x140HP Zukes on it, and it works great. The primary strength component of your transom is the outer layer of glass, when you have wood basically "glued" to it, the difference in the way they bend makes it very very strong.

I would talk to Larry at DSS welding in Duncan(250)715-1159for a pod, he has done two for me and several for other guys around there. If the transom is strong, or in even fair shape, I would just build the pod mounting plate closer to the edges of the transom, bolt 'er on, and let 'er rip. Aluminium bolted to good wood at the edges of the transom will be stronger then any wood/epoxy/polyester concotion that one can come up with.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

great info guys keep it coming as I need all the help I can get
any thoughts on painting gelcoat?

Ive got an 18.5 double eagel 1986, its a heavy boat and a 150 tops it out at 42 mph i think the 150 is perfect power!

-Steve

Back