16 to 20ft All-welded Alum. Hull Choices..

Seafever

After reading another thread it's obvious that not all welded hulls are created equal in terms of deadrise, types of V, wave-handling capability etc etc etc.

So..16 to 20ft all welded aluminums only...what's your choice and why?

Center council style or cabin style?

The Cope "Malaspina" as an 18' beamy boat it makes a great center console fishing boat. It's a great guide type boat sea worthy wise and its design has lots of construction strength. As a custom build it is a tough highly functional boat. Beauty of customs is that you can add in the finishing touches you want.

I would choose a "custom" build over a "cookie cutter" build any day as long as you went with any of a number of local builders in BC. There are many to choose from on Vancouver Island.

Super happy with my 16' Lifetimer. Their newer hulls have some design improvements. You can stand on the gunwale and it won't tip too much. Doesn't pound too hard either in the chop. Also built like a tank. I'm sure anything by Ironwood, Lifetimer, Silver Streak or Cope would be a great choice.

When I was looking I drove a bunch of different hulls and I took three years to find the one I wanted. Decided on a ThuderJet. They handle really well, they are made well, and they are less expensive than a limited run or one off custom. I simply couldn't afford an Ironwood or Cope, so in the "production boat" realm, I went with the TJet. The other boat I tried and really liked was the 20" North River Seahawk outboard.

If I were you, I'd head down to Washington or Oregon where there are a lot of these boats. I'd make arrangements to visit a couple of dealerships and spend a weekend down there running boats. It is super convenient for them, especially in Portland where most of the dealerships can dump a boat into the river for you and take you for a burn. it's astonishing how differently they ride and handle.

lots of people will have opinions, but you need to drive these things and decide what your OWN criteria are. For me, I wanted the biggest welded aluminum that would fit in the parking spot beside my house, that my existing truck could tow comfortably, and one that had certain handling characteristics. The ThunderJet Luxor worked for me. It is called the Falcon in Canada.

While I like the Cope design in the smaller hulls, I am having a new 26' Northwest built. Doug has built a number of smaller boats including some center consoles and he builds a terrific product in my opinion...hence he is building mine.

While I like the Cope design in the smaller hulls, I am having a new 26' Northwest built. Doug has built a number of smaller boats including some center consoles and he builds a terrific product in my opinion...hence he is building mine.

Redfisher you have made the right choice, Doug builds the best tinners out there in my opinion, have had mine since 2004 and loooovve it :) plus Doug is a great guy and will build it to suit your needs, congrats.

Heavy Hauler

Back