16' Double Eagle Question

Ruben

Hey Guys, I just bought a new to me 16' double eagle. It is a 1988 or 89. It has a 2003 2 stroke 90hp Yamaha main and I would like to put a 4 stroke kicker on it.

First question - will the boat handle a 4 stroke kicker.
Second question - Can anyone tell the difference between a new 9.9hp Yamaha and 8hp yamaha

so i think you mean will a 4 stroke handle
the boat ......yes and the increase of
20% in power will be noticed.

I own a 16DE of an earlier vintage(1978) and run a 115 Johnson main with a 8 hp Honda (1990) and find the boat
handles the weight just fine.It will list a little to the kicker side of the boat when I'm working the gear on that side
but other than that no problems.The 9.9 Yami would be overkill in my opinion and as these boats already ride stern heavy,weight is a conciderable issue.

I own a 16DE of an earlier vintage(1978) and run a 115 Johnson main with a 8 hp Honda (1990) and find the boat
handles the weight just fine.It will list a little to the kicker side of the boat when I'm working the gear on that side
but other than that no problems.The 9.9 Yami would be overkill in my opinion and as these boats already ride stern heavy,weight is a conciderable issue.
Okay thanks! One more question. I plan on mounting the new kicker to the transom beside the main engine. It looks like the old kicker is a regular shaft. I have had differing opinions on what length of leg to get. Would you get a long shaft or a regular shaft? What has worked for you people. I really don't want one of those hinged brackets.

If mounted on the transom you can get away with a short shaft,
kicker bracket would likely require long shaft

Yep,what Scott said.I have a kicker bracket and wouldn't be able to get away with a short shaft.I think the
configuration of the transom changed sometime in the early 80's DE's that allows you to mount a kicker directly
next to the main engine.This isn't an option on my 1978 version.

I had exact same boat. Be careful what you put on it. I had a T8 on mine way to heavy. I love those boats but they sit very stern heavy. Don't add unnecessary weight if you dont have to. I ran this boat for years but its not the same as the 17 ft version. The 8hp will be fine.

Back