1500 # winch $39

lazoman

Crappy Tire has 1500 lb winches on for $39, no rainchecks, just came from the courtenay store, they had quite a few left. Anyone thinking of building a prawn puller?

i sawa prawn puller made from an electric boat winch for sale here awhile ago anyone know if its still available??

There's a picture of it on the front of this week's C.Tire flyer. Is that one adequate? 1500lbs, 12v, 0.5hp.

Got one to do just that. We'll see if it lasts as it's the typical cheap crap, but hey... it's only $40!
Does anyone know where to find those pulleys that are open on the one side? Usually see them at the end of a boom to guide the line through, but the block holding the pulley only hangs from one side.

There is a handheld rocker switch for forward and reverse, and a small overload relay on the battery terminal. The motor is 1/2 hp, 350W. I see the Brutus puller is only 11 amps, which at 12v would be 125W (AV=W), so the power should be there. A larger dia pulley will increase speed, as its only rated at 13m/min freewheeling. Time to dig out the old blue manual scotty in the shed somewhere......

winch003.jpg

I hope they are adequate for pulling traps.
I picked one up last fall when they were last on sale, but haven't had a chance to get out on the water and try it yet.
Built the puller using 3/4" plywood for a base, and a bunch of aluminium from the local scrap dealer, all bolted togethor.

Lazoman, I thought of using the drum off an old Scotty too, but the diameter is only 8" I think. So I built a larger pulley wheel from plywood, sandwiching 3 discs togethor with the inside disc about 1" smaller diameter than the outer ones to stop the rope from jumping out. Did a test trial in the yard pulling a downrigger ball up the driveway and it should pull about 50+ feet per minute. Not the fastest, but if I find it too slow I can put on a bigger diameter wheel easily enough. I made the inside disc 10" diameter (mostly because that was the widest piece of scrap plywood I had lying around, 12" diameter would probable be better). I did the same thing back in the late 70's when I built my first downrigger and it worked so I thought I't try it again.

Also cut out the pulse switch and replaced it with a simple off/on.

Wife is away with the camera, but I'll post a picture on Tuesday when she returns.

The winch wiring comes with that little black thing on the positive wire (rectifier, fuse? forgotten what they call it). Any idea if that is 'necessary'? Could it be cut off and a Scotty plug wired on? Or should it be left in line.

Cedarstrip, marine store should have them, may have to look in the sailboat area. I just cut one ear off the pulley that came with the winch. A little Tremclad over the cut end to hold off the rust. Seemed to work in my 'yard test'. Will have to wait and see how it does on the water.

Back