150 hp Yamaha 2 Stroke Fuel Consumption

jimbob

Just checking on possible excess fuel consumption for a 1996 150 Yamaha 2 stroke with carbs. My motor is using about 40 liters of fuel every hour. I typically run it at about 3800 RPM whieh equates to about 28 mph. I love the motor because it is basically bomb proof but I am wondering if it is burning too much fuel. Comments?

Sure seems like a lot, thats almost 10 gallons an hour..
2 strokes are thirsty though.
Has it been tuned up lately, plugs etc ?

With all the weight of all the "stuff" you have on that boat what do you expect?????
It is fine the amount you run around and lifting anchors 3 to 5 times in a day. that sucks up fuel big time!!!!!Carry ON!!!!!!

Look up yamaha USA outboard website,hit performance bulletins, fuel consumption rates are posted.8.8 gallons an hour sounds about rite and not much worse than a 4 stroke 150.US gallons are slightly smaller than our gallons.

I run a 1997 200 2 stroke and find that the best fuel economy is found running t about 4200 rpms. Which works out to just under 30 mph on my 22 Seasport. Economy goes out the window after 4500 rpms.

Pump your primer bulb to see if it gets hard. If it doesnt, it may mean fuel is bypassing a needle valve or possibly a fuel pump diaphragm.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I think you sound pretty darn close to what the thing should burn. When troubleshooting fuel economy on a few boats in the past, I found the best results were from propping the motor on the light side, allowing it to hit near max revs with a moderate load.

Island Fish Lifter's idea would be a simple one to check.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

That sounds a little high, i was doing about that per engine with twin 200's at 4000-4200 rpm... yours might be working harder though = more fuel

img3937n.jpg

Have a 1998 Merc 175 2 stroke. 30LTR per hour running 30MPH 3800/4000 RPM . Average is 1 liter MPH at 25+ MPH

Had a 135 yamaha 2 stroke carbed on a 17 Double Eagle, about 7 gallons an hour at 3/4 throttle sorry can't remember the rpm. Around 30 miles an hour.
If I didn't want to wait around and pinned it she burned waaaay more, as Roy said the amount of weight made a BIG diffrence.
Dan.

LOL Trust me Jimbob is doing just fine the gas he is burning is looking for halibut holes and running around looking. As you know an older 2 stroke like his loves to eat gas at idle as it just pours it in!!!!!!
He needs to learn to sit and stay and make it pay,and not move 3 or 4 times in a day halibut fishing.
We have a new nick name for him and his fishing partner but I wont put it on here but his handle is the "MUPPETS" and it goes for the both of them.LOL

The 2 of them are great guys his partner ive know for almost all my life that why I introduced them to Jim. Ol Bill has been in the fishing industry for a very long time and most of you have some of his manufactured gear on your boats today, he is like a 2nd father to me and treats me like his son.
The 2 of them will figure it out as my buddy and I say all the time to them both.
"we dont know nothing were just dumb kids"
</u>LOL LOL

Good luck "MUPPETS"

Wolf:D:D:D

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Sounds like the two old cronys on the balcony.:D:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I have the exact same motor on my 18.5 DE. I was wondering about the oil injection, Some said I should remove it and mix in the fuel,I have asked 2 mechanics and the answer was that the Yamaha's were okay but other makes had problem's (merc's Omc).

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gunsmith thats why the nickname came about!!!!!
LOL LOL

wolf

cronys.jpg

Should find a way to put them in a boat.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

LOL LOL thats just too funny THANK YOU SO MUCH GUNSMITH it was these two guys that we thought of when we nicknamed jimbob and his partner "THE MUPPETS".
I cant remeber both there name but I know one of them is "STADLER" maybe Jimbob can enlighten us with the names im sure hes getting a good chuckle out of all of this LOL LOL

Well Jims whats there names????

Wolf

Don't worry Roy, Statler and Waldorf (Jimbob and Bill) a.k.a. the Muppets now have a new theory to improve gas mileage on my boat. It's a simple theory really.... We are going to turn off the key for a minimum of 4 hours every time we go halibut fishing! Should work fine. Thanks to everyone who provided their thoughts on fuel ocnsumption. I will let you know how my new theory works. Keep your eyes peeled for a 19 foot Glasply that is anchored on the halibut grounds. Wave as you go by. Hopefully we won't be moving and saving fuel lin the process!!!

I am pleased to report that fuel consumption has vastly improved recently on my Glasply as a result of anchoring in one spot rather than chasing around to several spots during the course of the day. What a novel concept!!! Statler and Waldorf even managed to land a 38 pounder the other day in the process. The Muppets rule!!

Back