140 Suzuki 4 Stroke vs 150 Yamaha 4 Stroke

I'm a suzuki fan, I've had four 140's and never any problems. A 2003 (johnson), twins on a lifetimer and a 2015 on my weldcraft. The 03 is still running and it's been run hard. I don't know anything about Yamahas.

I have an 06 Johnson 140 4 stroke, same motor as Suzuki build in same plant I am told. Like the motor, 600 hrs and only minor issues. Injector needed replacing=rusty. I have had no experience with Yamaha, tons of best and worst stories. Who to believe?

HM

I have twin 150 Yammi's, 2006 in my Grady. Just broke 3000 hours in them without any serious issues.

Minor stuff like thermostats, implellars, plugs, other than that they have been amazing engines

I also have two sets of 225 Suzuki's, one set has 2500 hours, other has a 1000.

Same with these engines, nothing major to report besides minor maintenance

In my decision on engines it would and did depend on your local dealer for any maintenance or work you may need done on it. Nice to get it done close to home

Best of luck

Cheers

I have 2 sons,one has a 542 Campion with a 140 Suzuki and the other has a 185 Double Eagle with a 150 Yamaha.Both run very well and are quiet at low RPM,but the Yamaha is much quieter and faster at higher RPM.My son with the Suzuki would rather have a Yamaha for the noise factor alone.They both have been around for a while and have solid reputations.

I just bought the Suzuki 140 and had the same issue deciding. Came down to $$$ and weight. The 150 yamaha was $3000-$4000 more and weighed 80 lbs more or was it 100lb ? for 10 more hp. It came with the 3+3 warranty or $1500 cash back. So i now have 6 yr warranty. Can't say about noise as i had a 140 2 stroke so anything 4 stroke is quiet. Buddies have Yamaha's and they are a great motors and thats what i wanted but it came down to cash and warranty. My 2 cents.

Check out the mercury 150. Wicked engine that will not corrode from the inside. Made to be very user serviceable.....my buddy is mounting one up right now. It has a large displacement @ 3L. Overall reviews of this engine have been excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAC
Careful - I know the old Suzuki DF140's had different gearing in the leg... Means a different ratio and characteristics. Double check that, because I know engines from years ago there was a big difference in '10 hp' between a Yam 150 and a Zuk DF140. Not sure about the brand new ones however, could find out in specs!

I've heard the gear case is smaller/lighter than the competition but having said that I've never had any issues with the lower end. I get 40mph out of mine on a 18 1/2' weldcraft. That's with two guys and gear. The fuel economy is great, one trip was 85 miles on 45 litres.

I've been looking into new motors as well, have you considered the new E-tecs? Right now they come with a 10 year warranty. We run twin 175's at work and they are light, powerful, quiet and don't smoke at all. The Suzuki and Yamaha are both extremely reliable, I would suggest going with whoever has the better warranty and whichever one has a dealer closest to you for servicing and warranty work. Also price (obviously) and which controls you like better. Good luck, it's a big investment and worth the research.

Check out the mercury 150. Wicked engine that will not corrode from the inside. Made to be very user serviceable.....my buddy is mounting one up right now. It has a large displacement @ 3L. Overall reviews of this engine have been excellent.

I run these as twins and they are very nice

Here you go...

Price: Priced too low to advertise
We made a special purchase from Evinrude to allow us to offer these engines at this special pricing ! your choice of 10 yr warranty or a 5 yr warranty including free controls, we have a very limited supply left.

http://www.parkermarine.ca/outboard/evinrude-2017-150
I like Mercury over Yamy's or Suzuki, but given what I have heard about the new Evinrude's and the great price currently would be temped to buy one if I was in the market.
be sure to let us know what you decide and how it works out long term

I owned a DF140a for 3 seasons. Very sweet engine.
If your boat has a max hp rating of 150hp, the Suzuki will likely be great. However, if your boat is rated for say, 200hp, I would select the 150. The reason is the Yamaha is 2.6L vs the Suzuki's 2.1, so the Suzuki is down on torque compared to the Yamaha.

Back