12ft aluminum boat and a bimini top

sako79

i have a 12ft smokercraft aluminum boat. im thinking about a bimini top for it. Trying to get some shade on the hot sunny days. is it worth it to buy one and put it on or do you lose to much fishing space. i usually troll in the lakes. i will also but my boat on my boat rack not using a trailer. what are your thoughts

like a big patio umbrella

Like a beach umbrella. Mount some PVC pipe to hold it.

If you do a Bimini, instead of front and rear straps, get the solid rear braces and front straps. 2 bows and make sure you get the correct width.

Last edited by a moderator:
i went and bought a big 9ft patio umbrella. and i read only the web that u use your scotty rod holder to keep it in

Return the patio umbrella sako.
Too big and heavy- think about what you will do if a gust of wind hits you and what it's going to do to your Centre of gravity.

Look for a golf unbrella - large ones can be up to 42 inch diameter.
May have to adapt a holder system.
Stay cool/be safe.

the patio unbrella only weighs 11 pounds with the bar and crank handle it's pretty light lighter than the Bimini top. as for a hat and sunscreen I will burn in a half an hour an hour even with the top sunscreen on

That patio umbrella is a huge sail. Tilt a little and would be easy to capsize a small boat. Especially a 12' boat. That is over 60 square feet on a 9' umbrella, with a 5' lever arm.

Back