12 volt microwave oven for boat

Rockfish

I am thinking it would be good to have a very small (both in size and power draw) 12 volt microwave oven on the boat which would not cost a fortune and be capable of heating up a hot dog, burger or piece of Pizza, cup of soup, chile or hot water etc. If it was designed for marine use, so much the better. Is there such a beast available and does anyone have one on their boat and would you see a problem in doing this? My main concern would be not draining a battery. Currently I have dual batteries about a 1000 CCA each) with an isolator switch. Also have sealed plastic solar panels to install on the cabin roof, with charging controls which will provide 2 amps of additional charging in sun light, a little less with clouds. Both my main motor and kicker (Yamaha 9.9 electric) charge the batteries when operating. The typical main power draws are motor starting,(the large Opti takes a lot) two scotty riggers, radar (only on in the fog), wipers, and a 10 inch Lowrance GPS/sounder. Occasional use - external and internal lights, washdown pump, duel bilge pumps (one auto, one manual) and two small windshield defogger heated fans.

Google 12 volt microwave and you will find all the information that you need. Thanks Willyd

I'd also take a long look at a small propane/butane burner. I have one that I take with me that I got at MEC and use it all the time. Cost me about $30 and it's made by Primus. Got hungry last weekend while out for the afternoon -- found a box of KD in the pantry on the boat and whipped it up in 5 minutes.

There is a very nicely designed one called the JetBoil that can do everything you listed below plus make a pot of coffee in about 3 minutes. The unit has a large cup for making soup, coffee, water, hotdog, and you can get other integrated pots/pans for pizza, burger etc... A cannister of fuel lasts a long time, and the unit is very small. Its a little nicer than my setup as the cup/pot is actually attached to the burner (mine sits on top so you have to watch the waves).

Was thinking that a Microwave would draw a pretty significant amount of power -- and they do. This one http://microwavecooking.com/12_Volt_Microwave.htm is pretty small, but draws 65 Amps. You're going to need to wire and fuse it to on it's own. Pretty low cooking power @ 450 watts (home oven usually is > 1200 watts), so it's going to run for a while and draw some significant power from your system. With 1000 CCA, I think that means you have 1000/20 = 50 Ah capacity per battery so I'd be careful here...

I too would be very careful. I have a micro-wave in my trailer powered by 2 -120 watt solar panels, 4 golf cart batteries and a 5000 watt invertor and when that micro is on the draw down on the battery is very significant. I would love to have one but battery and charging issues need to be dealt with in a fail safe manner or you could be in a no start situation!

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

I know I looked at getting one for my trailer, and anybody I talked to who had one in a boat or a trailer never used it unless they were plugged into shore power because it was way too hard on the batteries.
As well everybody stated that they got so used to using their gas appliances instead of the microwave, that even when they were plugged in, they still never used it.
One of those things that initially seems really handy, but when you give it a closer look it there are better options.

My $0.02

Boats run on Gas, not Thanks!

Thanks for all the good ideas, I still like the idea of a microwave oven for very quick very small food reheats without open flames If I can make it work safely and not leave me stranded.
An alternative could be to buy a third house battery and run it just off the solar panels and use it for the microwave and other small house use and with jumper cables as an emergency boast for motor starting, should I ever need it. That way it is completely isolated from the starting motor and charging circuits but provides a back up to my main batteries.
My understanding is that it takes quite a bit more power to run a 120 volt appliance through an inverter than in does if the appliance is 12 volt to begin with.
I just found this one, take a look at the link. http://www.thewavebox.com/power.cfm It has triple power options including 110 volts and two 12 volt power draw options. If wired direct to a battery it has the option to provide 660 watts of cooking power which is essentially a small full power microwave oven but also has an option to run it through a 20 amp cigarette lighter type power outlet at only 235 watts (I think that is less than 20 amps - have not done the watts, amps, volts calculations since school) which from what they say, should be sufficient for what I want to do, reheating small meals, warming coffee, heating convenience foods etc. I would not think this would draw more power than bringing up a couple of Scotty’s with radar/sounder on. Could this be safely used for short periods on occasion with my current batteries and solar panels if I restrict other optional power use at the same time, or would it be best to run a completely separate house battery which if I manage to drain it, does not affect starting, radar, navigation or VHF; or as some have suggested, just forget the whole thing and go with a stove. I do like the look of this small unit with the 12 volt 235 watt option.

If you get one I would really appreciate a review. If you look at most of the so-called 12 v micro's on the internet most are supplied with an inverter. Inverters by their very nature are power users by themselves. I doubt that one 12v house battery would run this in a satisfactory manner. I understand the need for a safe heating source while the boat is underway and a warm hot dog would be great-try and find somebody who has one or maybe go on some of the US chat forums and get a review and see how it is wired.

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Back