12 ft aluminum boat refurbish

kunni

Ok, so I bought another boat today. :) It was a complete impulse buy, but I saw the thing pop up on used vic, and could not resist. It obviously needed a bit of work, but I was happy to do it. I think the transom needs to be replaced, and I am in need of some 1 inch ply wood, anyone have any scraps? I am also needing some scotty rod holder brackets, will trade or pay for these, attached are some photos of the rod holder. I paid $250 for the boat, and a near new depth sounder, seats and a few other extras, its an older crestliner. There was a really bad paint job done on it, but I am not really bothered by it, so I am thinking of leaving it. Is it ok to just leave it alone, or should I paint? The inside paint is in really good condition, so I definitely wont paint that. I am taking it out tomorrow to check for leaks, The guy said there were none, but I'll just have to see.

Kunni

IMG_1795.jpgIMG_1792.jpgIMG_1797.jpg

I had a aluminum boat that I replaced the transome and then took it to a airport where a airplane mechanic replaced all the leaking rivits. It was like new again!

I had a aluminum boat that I replaced the transome and then took it to a airport where a airplane mechanic replaced all the leaking rivits. It was like new again!

nice, hopefully I have no leaks, will have to wait and see!

kunni

Bare aluminum will take paint....IF you use Zinc Chromate primer first.....this primer is available in spray tin just about everywhere they sell paint. But painting over existing old paint that is flaking and loose might be a problem.

Bare aluminum will take paint....IF you use Zinc Chromate primer first.....this primer is available in spray tin just about everywhere they sell paint. But painting over existing old paint that is flaking and loose might be a problem.

Will it cause problems if I dont paint, and just leave the old flaky paint?

Kunni

kunni
I think the transom needs to be replaced, and I am in need of some 1 inch ply wood, anyone have any scraps?

DBL check your measurements... Most old tin had 2 - 3/4 ply glued together for a transom. If it turns out to be 1 inch you can double up some 1/2 inch ply or mix and match other sizes to get the correct thickness.

If your looking for ideas check this link out. These guy's restore stracrafts but the basics are the same.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Last edited by a moderator:
Kunni.....I don't think you'll have any problems if you leave the old paint on and fish the boat the way it is.

A paint job would be for eye appeal and looks really.

I used to have a small Gregor aluminum that was bare aluminum from stem to stern........used it all the time, no problem in lakes....

kunni

DBL check your measurements... Most old tin had 2 - 3/4 ply glued together for a transom. If it turns out to be 1 inch you can double up some 1/2 inch ply or mix and match other sizes to get the correct thickness.

If your looking for ideas check this link out. These guy's restore stracrafts but the basics are the same.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Hey GLG, just double checked, and it does seem to be 1 inch. I agree it is weird, the transom on my 10ft jon is 3/4 inch

kunni

Looks like you will have to bond some 3/4 and 1/4 or 2 - 1/2 plywood together to get your 1 inch.
Best get some advice from the wood workers here as those measures may not be true thickness.
Should be a great project getting that old tin back in the water... have fun.

Hey Kunni,

Is the transom actually shot, or is it just the pieces that the outboard clamps to? Would save you alot of work to just replace those and recoat the transom.

yeah, the transom was soft, I took it off and it crumbled today

kunni

yeah, the transom was soft, I took it off and it crumbled today

kunni

Well, had to be done then. What was the thickness at the top edge of the transom? Wondering if you could just build the new transom at that thickness all the way down. Looks like the drain fitting is designed for same thickness as top.

the transom was 1 inch all over

kunni

it is the transom is only 4-6inches wide, it it were wider that transom support would have to be taken out.

kunni

Good little project for you Kunni. I redid my 12 footer the same way. Any leaky rivets can be tightened up with a sledge hammer and ball peen hammer. Just get your dad to hold the sledge on one side of the rivet. With you on the other side, give it a quick, sharp blow (once only) and it should stop any leaks.

I did about a dozen on mine.

I also had to take out those corner braces to get my transom out. I hope you have better luck. Yours is a different brand than mine, so probably a different design.

Dave

Good little project for you Kunni. I redid my 12 footer the same way. Any leaky rivets can be tightened up with a sledge hammer and ball peen hammer. Just get your dad to hold the sledge on one side of the rivet. With you on the other side, give it a quick, sharp blow (once only) and it should stop any leaks.

I did about a dozen on mine.

I also had to take out those corner braces to get my transom out. I hope you have better luck. Yours is a different brand than mine, so probably a different design.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

The transom came out really easily, it was very rotten, so I could basically break it out. I havent tested for leeks yet, but if I find any I think I will try use the method you used. Is it called re-bucking the rivets? I have decided to remove the paint from the bottom. Does anyone have any chemical paint removers they can recommend? If the paint strippers are too expensive or unreliable, I'll just do it by hand.

Kunni

thanks for the tip. I have some lined up, but they fall through I think I might look at those.

kunni

i did this project about 3yrs ago, i just got a 2x10 and had a neighbor use his planer to bring down to desired thickness, cut it to fit and now i have one solid piece of wood , was simple and am hoping it lasts longer than multiple pieces of plywood glued together, like what was in there

Back