115 Mariner problems

Dragginbait

I have a rebuilt 115 Mariner on my boat and when I put it in reverse and give it some throttle it bounces and bangs of the transom, I've topped up the power tilt hydraulic res and it didn't help much. Is there supposed to be a lock out that engages when it's put into reverse?:confused:

Hi, i got this from my maintenance manual.

" to prevent the outboard from coming up or trailing out, when shifted into reverse or throttling back rapidly, oil in The trim system must be lockedin a static position. This is accomplished with the up and down pilot check valves. Thus, not allowing oil in the system moving in either direction"

Without knowing the motor more, i would suspect a leaking check valve due to debris in the system, i would recomend either dissasembly or replacement of the trim system. If you have a manual it should lay out dissasembly and removal, aswell as some troubleshooting flow charts.

Also, if your not familiar with what a check valve is, its basically a ball bearing with a spring which only allows flow in 1 direction, if debris gets in the system it can cause the ball to not seat properly and then it will allow fluid to flow in both directions giving you symptoms as you described....

When your motor is trimmed up, does it slowly creep down? When its trimmed down can you lift it up manually, if you can do either of those its definetly a check valve problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't creep down, so it's not that valve. I'll have to see if I can get a manual, so the next time it's out of the water I can take it apart and check. Thanks.

Check marine engine . com there lots of good stuffs on there and sometimes you can fine manules for free on there you can download

There is a release mechanism on this that allows the motor to tilt up in case of impact, check this out the valve is probably stuck open.

Back