'03 Yamaha 225 4stroke oil leak

fordzilla

Strange, when my outboard is tilted up, it leaks oil in the lower part of the Cowel. Can't seem to find where it's coming from. Only 865 hours on the engine. Any suggestions where this might be owning from? How to determine where it's coming from?

I had an 03 225-depends how much oil we are talking about? First off is the oil at the correct level when the motor is vertical cause if it is over full -that will cause it. If the 03 are left in the tilted position then brought down and started they will put an oilsheen on the water-whether this would collect in the cowling-I don't think so. Make sure the dipstick is properly seated. My 2 cents

Well, not that much oil and it doesn't appear to be coming from the dip stick. It is slightly over full (maybe a half a liter). Didn't think that would be enough to cause any issues. I'd just be more comfortable with it if I could determine where it's coming from. There might be 1/8 of a cup or less watch time.

Well, not that much oil and it doesn't appear to be coming from the dip stick. It is slightly over full (maybe a half a liter). Didn't think that would be enough to cause any issues. I'd just be more comfortable with it if I could determine where it's coming from. There might be 1/8 of a cup or less watch time.

I have a 2005 merc 115 four stroke and had oil leaking in my transom when the motor was tilted. Ended up being a bad oil pump. Have a look and see if your drive shaft splines through your oil pump like mine does. A seal failed inside the pump and was leaking oil when the motor was elevated.

Interesting. I'll start the troubleshooting process. Anyone else with a Yamaha with any experience would be great to hear from as well.

I have a very slow trickle of engine oil coming down the driveshaft of my mercury 50. About a 1/3 cup per day. Powerhead needs to come off to get to a damaged seal. I don't like the pollution, but the quote was $128/hr X ??? + parts. So I have been keeping a close eye on the dipstick and using as is. Kind of like all 3 of our vehicles.

It comes out of the seam/gap at the bottom of the plastic midsection cowling, about 3 inches above where the lower unit bolts on.

I find that this pools inside around the engine (Top of lower cowel) then when I tip engine down, it runs out the drains and down the outside of the leg.

Back