Search results

1. Newf

Window replacements in older house.

Another non-fishing related post, sorry. My daughter and son-in-law bought an older house in North Van a couple of years ago and are looking to do a full windows replacement this summer. They had a quote from Anderson Windows and have two more quotes lined up. The ones from Anderson are...
  2. Newf

Oil Sampling for my 3 cyl Diesel

My 3cyl diesel appears to be "making oil". 2014 Volvo Penta D1-30 with just over 3200hrs. I've been noticing a small oil level increase on the dipstick recently. Was wondering if there is anywhere around Victoria area where I could get sampling jars and where to send it for analysis? Being...
  3. Newf

Another electrical question from me.

I have a 3 cylinder Volvo Penta diesel (D1-30) in my boat and want to install a standalone pushbutton to energize the glow plugs when or if the need arises. For anyone familiar with this engine, you may be aware of a known issue with the "MDI Black Box" (Mechanical Diesel Interface). This box...
  4. Newf

EV's and Strata's

Was going to tag on to Sly_karma EV thread but didn't want to go off track. I know of a situation in a Strata where a couple of folks have or are wanting to get an EV. They only have 100amp service in their units but have confirmed with an electrical company that they can install a charging...
  5. Newf

Heat Pump Questions

Sorry, not a fishing post but such knowledgable folks on here I figured someone will have an opinion. The compressor on my heat pump crapped out a few days ago. Just over 10yrs old so out of warranty. (of course) Was quoted around 4K to replace and install new compressor,,,,,11K for a new...
  6. Newf

Trailer Crossbeam Repair

The photos are of the rear crossmember on my EZ Loader trailer. The crossmember is aluminum and held in place between two galvanized brackets with stainless bolts. The left photo shows a salt/calcium buildup between the brackets and square tube that is collapsing the tube to a point where...
  7. Newf

Coho or Chinook??

Was out yesterday with my grandaughter and we landed a fish that I felt 99% certain was a chinook. It was not clipped and the tail was full of silver and had virtually no spots other than a couple on the top portion. However, the gum line at the base of the teeth was dark/black unlike a coho...
  8. Newf

Right rod to rocks/shore

Okay, that's wild because there were more people breaking that rule than following it. It was absolute chaos Friday and Saturday. The above quote is from a post on one of the fishing report threads so I thought it best to start a separate thread to discuss and keep it out of the thread for...
  9. Newf

Stainless Pipe for bimini support.

I need a 1" stainless pipe about 6ft long with a slight bend/radius for a support on my Bimini roof. Any suggestions on where I could get a small job like this done in the Victoria area? Anywhere south island would work.
  10. Newf

Water & Slime in Fuel Filter

Replaced the fuel filters for my little Diesel last week and found about a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of slime in the bottom of the filter bowl. On the previous scheduled filter changeout (every 400hrs) there was about 1 tablespoon of water in the bowl but no slime. No indications of...
  11. Newf

Can't see Photo's in any of the post anymore.

Haven't been able to see any of the photos in the posts for the last 3 or 4 days, including everyone's avatar pic. Not sure what I've done if anything to contribute to this issue. I've googled and tried different things but nothing has worked so far. Any helps would be appreciated. I'm using...
  12. Newf

Currents off of Sooke (General Area)

Talked to a guy today who recently bought a boat, keeps it at Cheanuh, and wants to try halibut fishing. He's not new to fishing just hasn't anchored for halibut. He has an anchor system from Trotac. He wanted to know what folks use to check currents in the general area of Sooke. Can anyone...
  13. Newf

Building Permits.

I know that there are builders on this forum so wanted some insight into a couple of questions I have. I have someone who is close to me that has been for the last several months trying to buy a house in Vancouver. They recently found an older house that says in the listing details that it was...
  14. Newf

Misc items for sale.

Doing a bit of clean-up and looking to get rid of a few things that have been in boxes for the last 8 years. I live on the Island in Langford. PM me if you are interested in any of this stuff before the missus puts it on Kijiji. Prices are my best guess at what I will list it for on Kijiji...
  15. Newf

Hooks on Gibbs Spoons.

Posting in a new thread rather than adding to the fishing reports. As mentioned in a previous report I have had 3 hooks fail on Gibbs spoons so far this year. (Skinny G and Wee G) Others have noted that they have had the same issue and have been swapping out hooks on their spoons as soon as...
  16. Newf

Replacing flasher grommets.

Just wondering if anyone has replaced worn/corroded grommets on their flashers? I have a couple of flashers in like new condition but the grommets are corroded to a point that they will soon fall out. (Probably poor quality or poor flushing/cleaning on my part) Would like to replace them and...
  17. Newf

Millermatic 175

What would a reasonable asking price be for this unit? Excellent condition. Less than a spool of wire burned with it. About 1300 psi still in the bottle. Homemade cart. Bought it and built a trailer for my Argo before I moved here. I've used it once or twice in the 7 years I've been on the...
  18. Newf

Wind forecast on Bigwavedave

No new wind updates under the Forecast tab / Predictions#2 since Mar-24/21. Other pages are working. Anyone know if this particular page is not being updated anymore and maybe a bit of maintenance going on? Or maybe it's just me.
  19. Newf

Cutlass Bearing and Shaft Coupling installation.

A question for you mechanical guys. I will be replacing the cutlass bearing on my boating in the next few weeks which means I have to pull the shaft. My question is when reinstalling the cutlass bearing into the shaft log and reinstalling the coupling on the shaft would you recommend using a...
  20. Newf

Dissimilar Metals question.

I just installed an oil pressure sending unit and gauge on my D1-30 Volvo Penta. It only had an alarm originally. To facilitate installation of the sending unit I had to use a 90 degree fitting. I used brass and this is screwed into aluminum casting. I've later read that brass and aluminum...
Back