Search results

1. Matthias

Anyone have a spare Volvo exhaust riser?

Hi all, Long story short - there's a crack in my exhaust riser. Volvo is currently looking for a new manufacturer so the lead time is unknown, but at least a few months. Anyone have any recommendations? I've called a handful of the local volvo dealers to no avail. Part number: 23612565 Comes...
  2. Matthias

Tiller handle extension solutions

I’ve gone through at least 4 tiller handle extensions that all fail in the exact same location (where the plastic converges into the aluminum pole). At $60 a pop I’m getting tired of replacing them. Does anyone have any better solutions (not interested in remote steering) I’ve seen a solo...
  3. Matthias

Navigating commercial nets in Alberni Inlet

My apologies if this has been covered before. I'm planning a trip to Bamfield at the end of August (25-28), and am curious what the protocol is around navigated commercial nets in the inlet on the way up. We're spending the night of the 24th in Port, and will be pushing off first light on the...
  4. Matthias

Fiberglass Estimate

I'm looking to have a minor glass project done to the transom of my boat and am trying to gauge if a quote from my glass guy is realistic. The situation is: my kicker bracket is mounted to my swimgrid. There is a support arm connecting the swim grid (right under the kicker) to the transom...
  5. Matthias

Raymarine A65

I have a used Raymarine A65 GPS and fish finder module. Comes with the A25 module and transducer. Ducer cable was not cut. Everything works great $325 for the bundle
  6. Matthias

Any tips for Port Alberni to Bamfield trip?

Hey everyone, At the end of this month I'll be launching my boat in Port Alberni and running to Bamfield for a few days. I'm hoping to get some pointers on things to keep in mind/look out for during the jet down the inlet. I've heard logs are quite frequent, and that the chop can be pretty...
  7. Matthias

Moorage at burrard civic

Hey everyone, My boat will not be in the city for the next little while so I have a slip at burrard civic available for July and August. I'm not looking to profit off this, but the marina does charge a 30% premium on my cost, and it comes out to about $500/mo Slip is for a power boat, 24ft is...
  8. Matthias

Building a resilient blue economy

The Vancouver Board of Trade is hosting a sustainability series conversation tomorrow at noon. There are some interesting panelists (full disclosure my company is one of them). The premise of the chat is around what the Provincial and Fed gvt can do to support a blue economy in a sustainable...
  9. Matthias

Fish bags

For those who don't have built in fish boxes, how are you storing your fish? I've been using a long styrofoam box but it's a big bulky and gets in the way, and is annoying to clean. I'm looking at this fish bag in the link below. They seem reasonably priced for what they are. Does anyone have...
  10. Matthias

Trailer Rentals??

Hi everyone, I'm looking to haul my boat from Van to Port Alberni at the end of July for a fishing trip in Bamfield. I have a 25ft Bertram with no trailer, and no truck to pull it. I've considered boating to French creek and hiring a boat hauling service to get it to PA. I'm hesitant on...
  11. Matthias

Boat/Charter Needed in Bamfield/Ucuelet/Port Alberni

Hi, I'm looking to rent or charter a boat either out of Port Alberni, Bamfield or Ucluelet. We are 3 people plus gear looking to get to Effingham inlet for the day to do some work on an oyster farm. It's a 1 day job, and we will need to be returned the same day. Ideally the boat has a cabin...
  12. Matthias

My Neighbours Hate Me!

Despite not contracting Covid-19, these unprecedented times provided me with a sense of ambition that hopefully won’t come and bite me in the butt! What do you get when you put together a pandemic, a very supportive finace, and a second floor condo with a 30 sqft patio? The perfect opportunity...
  13. Matthias

VBOAT Voyager

This is up for sale on craigslist and it looks pretty dandy! Curious if anyone's got any experience with these boats. They look well suited for our waters. One of the big drawbacks I see from the photos is the cavity bulkhead has to allow the engine to be trimmed up. It takes away from serious...
  14. Matthias

Bertram/Lynwood - What Do I Own!?!?

Hi everyone,. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the whole Bertram/Lynwood scenario. I'm trying to figure out what kind of boat I own (I purchased it as Bertram, it was advertised as so, and has the Berty emblem on both sides.) I just had it surveyed, and the guy said he thought it was a...
  15. Matthias

Just trying to change the world....

Hello SFBC community! Although it has really handicapped my fishing abilities over the last 6 months, I decided to go back to school last September to gain the confidence to do something good for the world.. and that's related to my passion... Integrated into the MBA program is a summer...
  16. Matthias

U.S. federal government authorized cull of sea lions in Oregon

Interesting article in the Province shows that previous culls on the Puntledge yielded positive results.. What is the hesitation today?? Why is Oregon's gvt able to act so quickly...
  17. Matthias

Catch n release

Is it unethical to continuing fishing catch and release after keeping your limit of chinook? Although there is a mortality rate associated with releasing hooked fish (I was told 10% on the Vancouver thread), I think that a legal sized fish has a higher chance of survival than an undersized...
  18. Matthias

Marine Shop Reviews?

Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting some major fibreglass work done on my boat, and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience working with either Blackwater Marine or Mountain Marine. My boat is moored at Reed Point Marina, and don't have a trailer, so for ease of the project I'm...
  19. Matthias

2018 Sockeye predictions/banter/pump-up

Of course it's a long long ways away, but as the months go on, day dreaming of sockeye fishing in the evening on glass calm waters in shorts and a tank with a hey ya'll in hand (non alch of course) become more and more frequent. I got into salt fishing in 2015 so i haven't experienced a true...
  20. Matthias

Fishing in subzero temperatures

Merry Christmas everyone! I’m hoping to get out one of these days and would like to know if there’s anything in particular I should be prepared for in such cold temperatures (ie frozen eyelids). Much appreciated!
Back