Search results

1. F

2023 Sooke Reports

My understanding is that the SEAK fishery happened as usual as the US court of appeal overturned the original decision. https://law.alaska.gov/pdf/press/230621-Order.pdf More info: https://www.raincoast.org/2023/06/us-district-court-halt-southeast-alaska-troll-fishery-us-appeal-court/
  2. F

2021 Sooke Reports

I haven been out in the Basin fishing shrimps lately. Unfortunately, thieves stole my both traps today. Not sure, if I'm the only lucky one or if others got stolen too. I've been fishing there a few seasons and it is the first time I've got this type of trouble. Really sad. Here a pic of one of...
  3. F

2020 Sooke Reports

I was fishing Otter Point yesterday from 6:20 to 9am. As others mentioned the weather was just perfect. But the fishing was slow. We didn't get a fish nor a bite. The only two fish I saw being caught were from Profisher. I saw another boat cleaning up like they just have caught a fish. There...
  4. F

2020 Sooke Reports

Thanks guys for clarifying the rules/etiquette as it makes more sense for me now.
  5. F

2020 Sooke Reports

The ruling sounds simple but I wonder how that could actually work at Otter. As you know this spot can hold fish anywhere from 30' to 160'. For that reason I like to figure out where they are. So I might start going west at 40'. Coming back east on the 60'. Then to west on the 80' and back on...
  6. F

2019 Sooke Reports

Was fishing at Otter Point last night from 5pm to 8 pm. At about 6pm there was a pink salmon frenzy going on at 3rd rock. Seems everyone got them beside me. Didn't really see any Chinooks being caught. In total I released a small shaker, a little ling and got 3 pin popper that didn't stick.
  7. F

Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2019/20 - Salmon, Groundfish, Crab and Pra

The underlying idea is to not (!) have 3 user groups anymore. FN and Non-FN fall under the same rules for either public fishing or commercial. That's why I referred to reconciliation. FN get back the control over this natural resource under the premise we use it as a homogeneous group. No...
  8. F

Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2019/20 - Salmon, Groundfish, Crab and Pra

Actually my idea to solve the management issues would be very similar to that. So instead of reallocating quotas from various user groups to FN we should reallocate the fishery management mandate from the DFO to FN. That would be true reconciliation. The only catch is that the fishery management...
  9. F

2019 Sooke Reports

Yesterday I went fishing with my youngest (10) who insisted we should do a family derby. The prize list for these 'derbies' is so long that it is impossible to not win something. We fished Otter Point from 3pm to 6 pm. Seems we missed the calm part of the day because we had white caps and choppy...
  10. F

I guess you misunderstood how democracy in theory works. The Supreme Court isn't God. It is a court. A court judges based on laws. It doesn't make the laws. The laws are made by the parliament represented through elected politicians. So long story short. It is on us to vote those politicians...
  11. F

2019 Sooke Reports

The Sunny Shores marina is literally empty. Saw 3 boats there couple days ago.
  12. F

2019 Sooke Reports

It appears DFO updated the page for area 20 now and removed the finfish ban west of Otter Point.
  13. F

2019 Sooke Reports

Can we fish west of Otter Point this year? I'm asking because I read somewhere we are allowed to fish all the way to Sheringham Point now. So I just checked the DFO site https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html and figured there is an all finfish ban in place west of...
  14. F

wild-salmon-plan-panned-conservation-groups

I would actually call it 'Public FSC fishery'. For many of us (non-aboriginals) FSC fishery is just what we truly do. I guess those that fish for the sake of fun only are a minority if they even exist. This was easily visible in the Sooke marina last year where about 50% of the mooring was still...
  15. F

2018 Sooke Reports

Did my last trip for the season on Monday afternoon. Just to get the engines running once more before winterizing the boat. I fished straight out of harbor mouth between 400 and 500' of water from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. After 30 min I got a nice 8lbs wild coho on a small spoon down at 135'. I kept...
  16. F

2018 Sooke Reports

Was fishing yesterday afternoon. Started at 4:30 pm at Otterpoint and had it all to myself. No other boat. Flat calm water and rain. Later another boat joined. Fishing there produced a wild coho 8lbs and a chinook 6 lbs. Both I released. At about 6:30pm I switched over to Secretary and kept...
  17. F

The Otter Point Closure Line: West is West

I feel the location of the boundary is straight offending. It criminalizes law abiding fishermen. They could have put the boundary to 500m west of 3rd rock then it would be between two fishing spots. But instead they put it right through the middle of Otterpoint. I'm all for sticking to the...
  18. F

2018 Sooke Reports

Was fishing Otterpoint from 4:45 pm with my little son. Was a sunny calm afternoon. Just perfect. Lots of boats there. We counted 18 boats. Seems we got there just in time because as soon as we arrived we got fish on. After only 1 hour we had two 13lbs chinooks in the boat and lost another pin...
  19. F

2018 Sooke Reports

I guess nobody would complain if you use that wiggle room temporarily. But as I mentioned in my report when you fish at 2nd rock and you do your circles there then you go beyond just passing up a kelp float. And that is what I meant with fairness. It is not about being fair to the DFO. I guess...
Back