Search results

1. Ruff

Kitimat to Bella Coola fishing/cruising trip.

Hi Folks. I'm taking the family on a 7 day adventure from Kitimat to Bella Coola the first week of August. We are on our 30ft Commander. My folks will be meeting us in Bella Coola and taking the boat back north. Just wondering if anyone has any points of interest they are willing to share...
  2. Ruff

Kitimat to Bella Coola

Hi Folks Wondering if there is any info on fuel stops this summer? Hartley Bay is open for fuel Monday-Friday so I'm hoping places like Klemtu and Bella Bella will be open for fuel. Just wanted to see if anyone had any info before I make the trip in August.
  3. Ruff

SeaWise manual davit system. 9ft RIB w/9.9 merc kicker. $5,500

All in great shape. System works awsome. Just a little heavy for my folks to move around on their own so going with something a bit lighter. In Smithers but can arrange delivery. (Pending travel restrictions).
  4. Ruff

How many anchors on board?

When I bought my boat, it had 2 full anchor setups on board. One is run through the windlass and the other is stowed in the floor locker in the cabin. We spend 20-30 nights on the boat and anchor all the time but are never more than an hours run from a dock we can tie up to. Keep the spare...
  5. Ruff

Big Coast Episodes

Curious if anyone knows where a guy could find episodes of Big Coast. My TV provider dosent offer WFN. I've seen the few clips that are on YouTube but more interested in full episodes. thanks in advance
  6. Ruff

Seawise davit system, 10ft RIB, 9.9 Merc

Putting my seawise davit system up for sale. works amazing. I put it on so my father could handle launching the tender on his own but he has since decided that the boat is a little more than he wants to run on his own. I'm going back to my old Weaver davits and lighter tender. Bought it for...
  7. Ruff

Pro Release

Pretty stoked on some new gear I just got in the mail. I used these release clips about 15 years ago on a charter and have not seen them since...until now!! These clips are great as you dont need a mono top shot when running braid. A couple of wraps around the spindle and you are good to go...
  8. Ruff

Steering station vs Remote steering

I'm looking at putting 25hp yammy kicker on the back of my 30' Commander. Wondering if anyone has any advice on weither to build a small steering station or go with a remote steering option. I have the room to build the remote station and like the idea of having the throttle controls right...
  9. Ruff

Luhr Jensen Hail rod

Wondering if anyone has tried the new Luhr Jensen hali rod? Looking for 3 new rods and was going to go with 6'6 Trevellas but am curious about these Legacy rods. Thanks in advance
  10. Ruff

Registering used boat???

This might be a stupid question but do i need to register my used boat once purchased? I have a bill of sale from the previous owner. The trailer and boat are both insured in my name. I know that once I register it, the tax man is going to want his 12% so can anyone give me a reason to call...
  11. Ruff

New bottom paint Commander

Hi guys My wife and I just picked up an older 30' Commander. Solid boat with new power and electronics. Has a cracked exhaust manifold but I'm replacing that next week. Its showing its age a little and would like to wax and put a new coat of bottom paint on her before she goes in the water next...
  12. Ruff

Think I found my dream boat

Was looking at some boat **** the other day and came across this beauty. With 3 young kids in always looking for a boat that will sleep 5. And with a 20+knot cruise i think I'm sold. I know that sea sports have a great name and are pretty solid but does anyone have any experience with the cats...
  13. Ruff

Flashing hoochie for salmon?

I've seen slot of guys using these flashing squid for hali and I'm wondering if anyone uses the lights for salmon fishing. Lighthouse does a flashing hoochie setup but has anyone on here tried it? Any success? I build all my own salmon/hali rigs and was wondering if it's worth adding a light to...
  14. Ruff

Spreader bar Y/N

Since there are not a ton of fishimg opportunities here on the north coast in the winter, I've been doing the next best thing.....watching fishing videos. In a lot of the hali videos I've seen lately the guys haven't been using spreader bars. Is this common practice? I've always used a spreader...
  15. Ruff

Grinding salmon carcasses for bait/chum

Just wondering if anyone grinds up salmon carcasses for crab bait/hali chum? I always save my heads for crab bait and typically fold the carcasses in half and use for bait as well but does anyone grind them up? My reasoning is that if you have a ground up carcas you can either add a little to...
  16. Ruff

Gas or diesel?

I've been looking at family cruising/fishing boats big enough for a family of 5 to spend a weekend (or more) out on the chuck. Most of the boats I've been looking at have the option of both gas and diesel power. My question is, what's the best way to go? You can generally count on around 25%...
  17. Ruff

What boat is this?

Can anyone tell me what kind of boat this is?
  18. Ruff

Commander good deal Y/N?

I'm heading to look at this boat tomorrow and just wondering what you guys think about it. Love the commander as I feel like it will be a great boat for my wife and 3 young kids. What do you think about the price? Anything I should be looking out for? Thanks in advance Please view this ad...
  19. Ruff

Best trolling rod

We recently purchased my father in law a new islander for his birthday and am looking to pair it with a really nice rod. I'm looking for something in the medium/moderate range. I was going to go with a Loomis but was told they only make the heavy weight rods now. I run HMX's and have never had a...
  20. Ruff

Pipe jigs

I've been messing around building some jigs for the upcoming season and figured I'd show off the finished product. Second image ended up upside down but you get the idea.
Back