Search results

1. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

My advice for you folks who aren’t sure of your fish ID is pretty simple. When in doubt, err on the side of caution. Is any fish worth the pain, cost and embarrassment of a ticket? And barbed hooks. Crimp them all when you tie them or put them in your box. Having no barbed hooks in any of my...
  2. Cut Plug

2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Rest assured, there’s many heading your way based on the numbers still ahead of you in JdF and the awesome forecast for lower Fraser Whites. Many days of good fishing ahead I’d say!
  3. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

It was bumpy heading out from the harbour today and definitely slower but there are still many springs out there still. We didn’t fish Saturday as we don’t enjoy derby chaos, but Friday was an excellent afternoon/ evening bite at Secretary and possession for us with 4 springs and 3 hatchery coho...
  4. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

Still so many fish out there. 2 passes out front of Sooke this afternoon produced a 12 lb red and a freight train smoking line off the reel 79cm white spring before I could grab the rod mid day today. We were just supposed to launch the boat after two weeks in Bamfield but couldn’t resist. Windy...
  5. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

Agreed. Likely a subject for a different thread, but check here under the packaging and transport tab: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html All you need to do is leave the pectoral and tail atached to one fillet. CP
  6. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

Can’t over stress the importance of turning in those heads! Not just now but all year. Back from 2 weeks in Bamfield and looking forward to hitting home waters again asap!
  7. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

It is indeed awesome out there now. Quick limits of springs both yesterday and today. Been fishing the pinks and coho on 8wt fly rods with a dummy flasher and pink spoons. Only running one rod as it’s too chaotic with two and the light gear. So much more fun and interestingly we seem to land way...
  8. Cut Plug

2023 Sooke Reports

Awesome story Rollie and a class act posting the pic of the fish in the water. It’s an XL for sure! Thanks for continuing to set such a great example on the water. Bummer about the rod though.
  9. Cut Plug

2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Yeah, I’ve driven the new route from Lake Cowichan to Bamfield a couple of times the past few weeks. It’s a lot better than last year for sure, but I still wouldn’t tow my boat over it. Mainly pretty good, and a fast trip for a truck (3 hrs Bamfield to Victoria) but still a few surprises that...
  10. Cut Plug

Cowichan River

The Cowichan River Coho fishery is a sustainable opportunity based on what I think is the largest unenhanced coho run on the island. Go enjoy it with a clear conscience and bonk one for dinner if you get a chance and are so inclined!
  11. Cut Plug

Cowichan River

The Cowichan fence count only captures the very beginning of the run. That number is then expanded based on PIT tag counts through the fence array and Skutz Falls array and fish way camera counts. The final run estimate won’t be available until early in the New Year. As the notice states, the...
  12. Cut Plug

2022 Sooke Reports

I’d describe it as slow but steady for our 10 am to 3pm session today off Secretary. We went 2 clipped fish for about a dozen fish hooked. Downriggers at 50 and 60. Bait, white and purple haze hoochies and a green and white coho killer all got fish. The cool thing was one of the hatcheries was...
  13. Cut Plug

2022 Sooke Reports

Did the Bankers hours thing today and got to Possession at the crack of 10am. Hit some decent sized wild coho right off the bat, and then a hard fighting 21 lber at around 11:30. Saw a few others caught around the same time. A darker, fully mature, long nosed buck that I’d bet was headed locally...
  14. Cut Plug

2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Soooo good to see our brothers and sisters from Vancouver finally getting in to some great Chinook action! It’s been way too long, but still puts a big smile on this guys face. Here’s hoping it’s a protracted season. All indications are there’s more on the way.:)
  15. Cut Plug

2022 Sooke Reports

Awesome video. Thank you for sharing that. And solo too. Nicely done!
  16. Cut Plug

2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

I run a 4/0 single siwash attached to a crane swivel. A gumpuckey and UV insert gets the bites and puts the hook in the right place. Not much help in landing ratio but sure helps with a better release for those you want to let go on purpose.
  17. Cut Plug

2022 Sooke Reports

Awesome report Englishman and a couple of comments based on your report and the previous one. First, springs seem to be arriving late this year all along the WCVI so hang in there as we may be seeing good action for the next while. Fingers crossed! Second, and for the previous post, if you’re...
  18. Cut Plug

It was a bit to do with the smaller size I think but consistently they’d hit pretty hard, head shake a couple of times and then charge the boat putting their damn heads out of the water either alongside or right behind the boat and thrashing like gators. Good strategy to throw a hook so hats off...
  19. Cut Plug

Got back Sunday from a week in Bamfield. For us it was hot one day cold the next. Started off with a 10 spring and 4 coho morning at Fleming which was awesome and then dead Tuesday. Most of our springs were smaller but we did manage a few in the low to mid 20’s. We caught springs at Fleming...
  20. Cut Plug

2022 Sooke Reports

Happy to be of service LOL. Back to the desk for the rest of the week and then off to Bamfield for another week starting Sunday. This time with my wife which I’m really looking forward to! The bite today was totally reminiscent of this time last year. You guys should have an awesome week or two...
Back