Search results

1. CBsqrd

Downrigger not laying cable on spool evenly?

Check the fairlead. Sometimes they get knocked out of place.
  2. CBsqrd

Add a battery and lithium iron phosphate house battery

From my post last week: https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/lithium-batteries-school-me-marine-boat-applications.95794/post-1198173 The +ve wires at the bottom left are coming from the two start batteries. The +ve wire leaving top left goes to the LiFePO4 house battery.
  3. CBsqrd

Axopar 28 or 37

Not the first time I've heard that happening on an Axopar... OP: these boats are known for being tenders and commuters, and if that's what you see yourself doing mostly, knock your socks off. However, they make some major design choices to fit those use cases that make them less than ideal for...
  4. CBsqrd

Lithium Batteries? School Me , marine/boat applications!

I installed a Lithium house two years ago and can provide my thoughts. My setup is twin outboards (300hp), each with their own start battery and a separate house battery. Mercury is the only manufacturer (as far as I know) that approves the use of Lithium for starter batteries, specially their...
  5. CBsqrd

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Except it hasn't been sitting on the lot over a year... The add states that this is the last of the 2023's they will have available and it will be fitted with F425's and Garmin electronics, helm master, etc., suggesting that it is still being finished at the factory and hasn't arrived. Galleon...
  6. CBsqrd

Merc Verado V8s

The Garmin autopilot can send and receive information from either the Furuno or Simrad / VV (or a Garmin/Raymarine display for that matter), but it can only do so with one at a time. In the NMEA 2000 settings you have to designate which device is providing the info to the autopilot so the...
  7. CBsqrd

Merc Verado V8s

My suggestion would be to use the Furuno as your main screen (Nav/Radar/Fishfinder) and have a VesselView as your engine gauges and controls. With the dedicated VV screen you will have the ability to network them together if you want but you will probably find it easier to keep the engine data...
  8. CBsqrd

Merc Verado V8s

You can definitely read Merc engine data on a Furuno device; however, you won't have full functionality. Things like troll control, cruise control and auto trim (if you have the separate module installed) require a Simrad screen. Note that the larger VesselView screens (7" and 9") are just...
  9. CBsqrd

Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

Assuming you have a separate display for you engine(s), go with one big screen.
  10. CBsqrd

Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

I'd wait till valuations bottom - i.e. they are trading near "traditional" companies - or they start to improve. Don't try to catch a falling knife. Or as often attributed to John Maynard Keynes, "The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent."
  11. CBsqrd

Shimano Tranx 300 - 5.8 or 7.6 Gear Ratio?

I don't think it really matters since you are unlikely to catch anything from shore that will be so big that the higher gear ratio is going to be that much more work. But if you think you will need the lower gear to winch them in then go for the 5.8 ratio. The hookset will come more from the rod...
  12. CBsqrd

simrad networking question.

This is the correct answer.
  13. CBsqrd

Tuna leader lengths with splashers

I rig all mine with a 7’ leader. That seems to be the standard when I was researching it. You want to keep everything fairly tight to mimic a bait ball. I try to run the gear so each splasher / rabbit is about 7’ - 10’ behind the previous zuker. I usually start the day with a couple without...
  14. CBsqrd

Open eye swivel

No swivel needed for a hoochie. Tie a loop knot and eliminate a point of failure.
  15. CBsqrd

Driving an EV pickup

But, but... Could you imagine driving on the highway and not being able to cook dinner on the exhaust manifold? It may be wise to make sure you have a camping stove and extra fuel canisters. Go be a troll someplace else. If you had actually read this thread instead of repeatedly posting...
  16. CBsqrd

Where to buy stainless hinges

Martin Marine in North Van.
  17. CBsqrd

Is trailering a boat from the north side of Victoria to Port Hardy and motoring to Rivers Inlet in one day realistic

When we go for two weeks, we fish just enough to eat for the first week to 10 days, then plan five days of fishing hard at the end (two days for salmon, two for bottom fish, one extra). Don't really want to have fish on ice for longer than that and possession limits puts a cap on the retention...
  18. CBsqrd

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

460 hours on motors that are notorious for exhaust corrosion. (They tried not to show the motors in the pictures, but you can see in the 3rd pic the edge of the cowling which is of that vintage, and I'm sure if they had been replaced there would have been some pictures and a note about it.)...
  19. CBsqrd

Espar D5 Heater

Espar D5 Heater kit. Like new condition. Included custom aluminum fuel tank, 4-inch and 2-inch distribution tubing, exhaust tubing with stainless steel outlet, controller, manual and various assorted pieces (see pictures). $2,000 obo. Located in North Vancouver.
  20. CBsqrd

Mustang Taku Jacket - Men's Medium

Men’s size medium Mustang Taku Survival Jacket model MJ1000. Near new condition, very lightly worn, no marks or tears. This jacket will take whatever west coast weather is thrown at it. $200 firm. Located in North Vancouver. Specs Size: Medium Colour: Moss Green Material: Marine Spec SP
Back