Search results

1. Sam7

2023 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Launched at 11:30 today trying to catch the tide change and the “bite” time of 12:30. we ended up with a wild coho in the first 10 minutes and then another hit soon after that, that didn’t stick, then it went quiet for us for over an hour and then a few more here and there. in total 4 wild...
  2. Sam7

Started out at the waterfront at 5:45, pretty quiet, didn’t see much going on. At about 8:30 I headed out to do a pass at Brochie before heading down to Clover following the structure. Spent about 4 hours down at clover and all I had to show for it was 1 - 5/6lb spring that I released. Current &...
  3. Sam7

Well, first trip for my wife this year and she was not disappointed getting up at 4:45. Launched at 5:40, I thought were were at JFK airport with the backlog of boats waiting to get in the water, with the limited water, the line moved very smoothly. It looked like a great day, lots of boats...
  4. Sam7

Started the launch at 5:40, a couple boats ahead of me, when I had finished launching there was a lineup out to the street. on to fishing, I made my way over to the breakwater, Macaulay was already getting jammed up at 5:55. Within 1.5 hours, I landed a pink, about a 5-6lb spring, that went...
  5. Sam7

Faack…..motored right by the area to head to Sooke….(because that’s were the fish were) possession was quiet so we went all the way to Otter for 1 spring (3 people)….oh well it’s just gas money 💵💵🤦‍♂️
  6. Sam7

Late…late post, Wednesday afternoon Had a friend from the flatlands of Saskatchewan show up this week due to the fires in Kelowna where he was supposed to visit with his daughter, so he just kept driving west because she was under evacuation orders. Well we finally made it onto the water this...
  7. Sam7

2023 Sooke Reports

Late post: we came from Esquilmalt harbor, great ride out, arrived at the gap just before Secretary and we were fishing through the gap to possession by 6:30 ish. In the previous two encounters we hooked up on smaller fish and we always had a big one hooked up before arriving at possession. Not...
  8. Sam7

2023 Sooke Reports

Left Esquilmalt at 6:00, arrived at possession (just before the gap) 32 minutes later, within the first hour we had 7 hits, and a big one when we went through the gap to get to possession, but my fishing partner lost it. I guess when you haven’t fished in 7 years you have to reteach yourself. We...
  9. Sam7

2023 Sooke Reports

Left Esquilmalt at 6:15, stopped in just before possession at the gap at about 6:55, got into a double pink within 5 minutes. Went through the gap and started fishing possession. Wrapped things up 11:45. played 6 springs, released a 94cm kept 3, lost two. Managed a couple of keeper pinks. edit...
  10. Sam7

We decided to head out at fishing at 8:30, at the dock at launched about 9:25 and made a few passes at Macaulay with no luck, so we headed over to the breakwater where we got in a small spring which we returned to the deep. Then at about 11:15 we hooked into a good fighting spring. We used to...
  11. Sam7

2023 Sooke Reports

Started out at the Esquilmalt waterfront at 6:00 with Bottomfeeder and his daughter who had never been salmon fishing before, we did a couple of laps where we had 1 hit, and then decided to head out Beechy way. started fishing there about 8:00 am and tied into a couple of pinks. Since the tide...
  12. Sam7

Right out front or were you in deeper water, or 2nd tide line
  13. Sam7

I had a half day of work today, so I took the morning half to go have some fun. trolled the waterfront for a couple of hours, didn’t see much bait, but I had 1 hit just on the other side of the breakwater bend, and a managed to land a pink in the boat. at 8, I decided to head out to the mud...
  14. Sam7

out for some halibut this morning, left Esquilmalt at 6:45, dropped the trap, headed out to the mud flats. dogs were thick today, had a salmon head on one side, herring on the other, went through 8 herring before I landed a 77cm. several more dogs on the herring, no action on the salmon head...
  15. Sam7

2023 Sooke Reports

What area were you fishing?
  16. Sam7

2023 Sooke Reports

Late post: I was out yesterday with my 78 year old father-in-law from Vernon, they came out for a week and because of the water at the launch in Esquilmalt and the winds, we were only able to get out yesterday, before they leave on Wednesday AM. we got into about 8 fish before we had to leave...
  17. Sam7

Finally…1-5 Fishing solo this morning, halibut fishing about 6:30. I ended up with a small one 62cm, at around 8:30. I was a gambling man and tossed it back. Couple hours later around 10:50, just as the tide was turning, I had a hit. Big fish, only lasted about 10-15 seconds before he did a...
  18. Sam7

Late post: 0-4 Went out Monday, first to launch at 5:45, parking lot was empty. Strange I thought because of the nice tides today. Dropped the trap off and went to my halibut grounds. fishing by 6:30. Wrapped things up at 2:15, with only 1 dog to show for my efforts. Strange how last year...
  19. Sam7

0-3 Out with Bottomfeeder and this time he brought his daughter who was a great sport., launched at 5:30 dropped the crab trap, setup & fishing for hali at 6:15. Long day with no action except for the 1 dog, and 1 small nibble with no bait on the hook when it was brought up. Packed it in at...
  20. Sam7

On the pick today with Bottomfeeder1, left the dock just after 6, dropped the crab trap made our way through the slop to my halibut spot……..which again didn’t produce for me today, starting the year off, 0-2. We did manage a couple of large dogs the get the adrenaline flowing, and right t the...
Back