Search results

1. E

Same pitch, smaller diameter.

In general when switch from AL to SS you increase pitch/diameter to maintain the RPM you reach with the AL prop. You are doing the opposite. If your current max RPM with AL is too low, then the switch might work.
  2. E

Finally, they figured it out. Not enough food in the ocean!

Plankton abundance in the ocean is cyclic/variable, and warmer water grows plankton that are less nutritious. This plankton are the base of the food chain.
  3. E

NORTH PACIFIC SALMON CATCHES DECLINE IN 2020 TO LOWEST LEVELS IN FOUR DECADES

Good data; thanks. Look at Alaska's Chinook catch versus hatchery releases compared to BC & the lower 48..................SHAME
  4. E

Backing on reels

Not a dumb question at all. The fuller the line spool, the higher/faster the retreive ratio is which is generally what you want. The newer super-braid lines are a much smaller diameter that their monofilament counterparts of the same strength. The super braid lines are expensive, so some...
  5. E

Moving to salt water

IMO some electronics brands are mainly for freshwater; as are some of the newer SONAR technologies that use a very high frequency transducer to produce detailed 3-d images. The high frequencies IMO do not penetrate deep enough to be useful beyond 120 feet or so. I put Hummingbird in the...
  6. E

12V Battery Management: Seastar EPS—Electric Steering Actuators

Are the steering actuators part of the Suzuki install or are they aftermarket? The reason I ask is if their wiring is integrated into the Suzuki starting/charging wiring, then you most likely cannot separate them out to be powered by the house battery. Starting batteries are not made to be...
  7. E

BOTTOM PAINT

IMO most bottom paints create drag & performance (speed/mpg) suffers. I went from ablative to teflon & realized a significant MPG improvement. For a F/G boat that is in the water less than a week or so at a time I'd go polished gelcoat.
  8. E

Higher spring chinook salmon counts lead to more Columbia River sport fishing dates

Back to data................ Easy to find REAL data on Colimbia River returns: http://www.cbr.washington.edu/dart/query/adult_daily Going back to the OP it looks like when Spring Chinook fish counts at the dam just above the area referenced in the OP went from 25% of 10 year average to 50% of...
  9. E

Lowrance HDS 9 Live or ??

Most of the "scan" fish finder technologies use a very high scan frequency (400 - 800 Khz or so. It appears HDS live is no exception. IMO I would not expect HDS live to be useful beyond 120 feet deep or so based on real-world comments from those using similar technologies.
  10. E

Can I use my Navionics card in a diffrent GPS unit?

This should give you a quick answer: http://www.furunousaforum.com/
  11. E

Higher spring chinook salmon counts lead to more Columbia River sport fishing dates

To the best of my knowledge the migration patterns of spring versus summer Chinook are different. Also, does the DNA data you reference specify that they are spring versus summer/fall Chinook?
  12. E

Their numbers had been down for many years; my guess would be more favorable ocean conditions
  13. E

Battery Numbers

I would use 2 batteries; i start 1 deep cycle. You could use a Blue Sea ACR to manage charging but realize you can hook the ACR up 2 ways; 1 to prioritize charge to the starting battery 1 to prioritize the deep cycle. You need to talk to their support to see which way to go.
  14. E

Not likely in this case; the Columbia River Spring Chinook tend to migrate far offshore from the Columbia river, bypassing BC; straight out, straight back in. As for Puget Sound Chinook, different story. There us also catch equity in the treaty, AK catches BC Chinook so BC gets to catch a...
  15. E

Sounder Issues

With a brand new unit this forum is the last place you should seek advice - have you tried support? A guess would be bad transducer/cable/connector.
  16. E

Lone Swede looking for affordable fishing trip/guide

Some outfits might pair-up anglers. Murphy's Sportfishing did pre-COVID, but they only offer multi-day lodge trips. Nearest option for a single angler are the larger boats out of Westport WA. Neah Bay WA has them too but are closed due to COVID.
  17. E

Lets talk transducers...

Yes it will interfere. Try to get something to where only one unit has the TM265HW & the sounder info can be displayed on the second unit. IMO this functionality is much more important than what brand you choose.
  18. E

HDS Gen3 vs Live vs FS

Just about all (except Furuno) side/down/whatever scan sonar use a very high frequency; too high for penetration beyond 100 feet or so IMO.
  19. E

Downriggers - Help me understand what I need to purchase

I highly suggest to add these: https://scotty.com/product/no-370-trolling-snubber-w-sampo-ball-bearing-swivel/ They add shock absorption so that IF you stop the ball descent too rapidly (common when learning) the ball does not break off. They also provide a soft wide place to grab with your...
  20. E

Lets take DFO to court

One thing to read it, quite another to really get what it is saying - look at the population comparison.
Back